Thursday, September 20, 2007

Wonderful Things To Do In Bed

I had the most decadent experience today. I had a daytime nap.

Aren't they wonderful? It had been an eternity since I've laid down during the daylight hours but I tell you what, I truly needed it today. Since mentioning the bout of sickness going around Lizzie's Home earlier this week, and (ahem) mentioning that I have one of those constitutions that rarely sees me get sick, what should happen?

Uh-huh.

It probably didn't help that I've been sharing a bed with Mr McGermy for the last few days (he's on his third day off from work today), but I've managed to survive that kind of thing before with nary a cough. I think it was probably the visit from my Dad this week that did it - he's on the tail end of a bad cold and the germs were just waiting to jump ship in our house. Oh, and my poor Dad ate something bad the day he was here and spent a large portion of the evening (severely) throwing up into our toilet. No, it wasn't my cooking! He thinks he had a bad sandwich for lunch before he arrived. In any case, I've only ever seen/heard my Dad throw up one other time, and that was in hospital after his heart attack, when he was hopped up on nausea-inducing drugs. And trust me, this recent bout was epic in proportions. Of course, I couldn't help but put on my Mummy Hat (do we ever take those off?) and crept to the bathroom door on several occasions to ask if there was anything I could do. And Dad being Dad (a real salt-of-the-earth-shrug-it-off-I'm-not-dying-yet type) he wasn't about to let me help. He simply finished throwing up, washed up, and came out into the living area and picked up the conversation where he'd left off. Meanwhile at that stage we ALL felt a bit nauseous, having listened to the rowfing for an hour straight. Yuk! As bad as I feel today, I am so thankful I'm not worshipping at the porcelain altar!

When I woke this morning, gosh I felt horrid. I knew I'd come down with whatever it is before I'd even opened my eyes this morning. I haven't felt right all day. I can't figure out if its still brewing or if I'm only getting a mild variant. I feel flu-ey and tired, but I'm not (yet) coughing or phlegmy. Thank God for small mercies, right? But I've been so wiped out all day that I knew the second I got back from the morning school run that a nap was going to feature prominently in my day. I had originally planned to head in to the library today but I didn't even have the energy to find my course books and at one point I nodded off holding a cup of tea! Pretty big indication to stay at home. I eventually crawled into bed after lunch and had a blissful 1 ½ hour nap before the afternoon school run, and it worked wonders. I'm still exhausted, but this way I might actually last long enough to cook dinner...

Cheers,
Lizzie

5 comments:

mummifiedx5 said...

Hehe, you had me worried when I read the title of this post! I'm sorry to hear that the germys have caught you too. And I agree, a "nanna nap" cures all!

Thia said...

Hope you feel better soon, preferably before it becomes a full blown illness!

Rebecca Maree Photography : Newcastle maternity, newborn, family and wedding photographer said...

Oh ... I would love a nap right now :o) Love your blog, keep up the good work! X

Jana said...

Lizzie, thanks for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave your comment! I haven't had time this morning to read much of your blog, but it looks GREAT. I'll definitely be stopping back here. Thanks again!

Musings of a Housewife said...

Oh there's nothing like an afternoon nap. Sigh . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails