Thursday, September 6, 2007

Happy Homemaking ~ Introduction


As we go about our daily role as homemakers, we are called to wear many hats. Some of these hats fit like a glove from the start, while others need to be tugged into place with vigour! And then there are the hats that sit so awkwardly on your head that you feel as though you're never going to find one which slides on with comfort and ease.

The various concerns of a homemaker are a bit like this example. There are some homemaking skills which seem to tumble forth with confidence and yes, even enjoyment! For some, pottering about in the kitchen is one of those skills. Arranging a nutritious meal for the family is like second nature. Cooking comes naturally to some people in the same way as handcrafts come to others. Personally, I need the safety net of a recipe or I tend to create a culinary catastrophe somewhere down the line! But I know women who are awesome homemakers and who make it all seem so effortless. And I'm not talking about the "I'm a television identity with my own show and a staff to do my prep work for me" kind of effortless either. I mean the real deal. The grandmothers (and great-grandmothers!) who survived the depression on the back of their small vegetable patch. The mothers who require a second hand to count their children and yet somehow manage to stay on top of the laundry, feed everyone and adorn their walls with hand-made quilts. The women who always look 'put together' and calm, ready with a home cooked meal and a hug for a neighbour in need. Those are my heroines :)

I don't know about you, but I have a whole closet-full of ill-fitting hats! No matter how hard I try, I always burn at least one trayful of cookies in every batch. Always. I'm totally famous for it. And for the life of me, I can't seem to get completely and totally caught up with the laundry. I'm always at least two loads behind, LOL. But I'm slowly taking each of these awkwardly fitting hats, picking apart the stitching, rearranging the components and ultimately finding a way to make them fit. Bit by bit, they feel less tight, less constricting - and more comfortable :) With each 'hat' that I master, the more peaceful and 'at home' I feel.

Over the next few weeks, I hope you'll join me as I talk about the bare bones of homemaking and what it takes to be content with your role at home. In this twelve part series we'll talk about the things (and the people!) that should remain the priorities in your life. Most of you are seasoned homemakers already and I'd love it if you'd contribute your own stories via email and comments to each post. If I get enough responses I'll collate them in an appropriately titled 'companion post' to each edition.

Happy Homemaking everyone!

Cheers,
Lizzie

4 comments:

A Juggling Mum said...

I love this concept..... the ill fiting hats are so true :)

I'm looking forward to reading more!

Rachel xxx

mummifiedx5 said...

I'm really looking forward to reading more as well :)

I've been reading quite a bit about the art of homemaking lately and it's making me realise that although we seem to have a pretty organised, smooth running home...there are a lot of areas that I feel could do with improving, even if it's just for my peace of mind.

Lizzie said...

Bloggityville is a vast resource on that score. I'll be quoting a couple of sites and various other bits and bobs as I go along. You'll see lots of the 'usual suspects' - menu planning, budgeting, creating peace at home, the family meal table...twelve areas :) Lots of it will already be common knowledge but I hope I'll be able to throw a little bit extra into the mix :) As for the frequency of the posts in that series, I hope to be putting up at least one, probably two per week. But that is very much contingent on my other commitments (which are high! LOL).

The full 12 part series will be a permanent fixture on Lizzie's Home.

P.S. I actually resorted to starting a notebook today where I'm jotting down all the new bits I want to add to Lizzie's Home. I can easily see how some people work on their blogs full time!

Cheers,
Lizzie

Sarah said...

At last, someone who understands about all the different things I do! None of my hats fit at present, and it's driving us all crackers - there's always someone without socks, or who doesn't like what's for dinner (and my children fit on one hand, as it were).

I will be watching with interest.

Mrs Cupier, Buckinghamshire, England

Related Posts with Thumbnails