Saturday, September 1, 2007

Smart Habits Saturday ~ September 1


This week I have a really, really simple habit to work on.

I'm about to undertake a new 'healthy eating plan' (hereafter known as 'diet', although I personally hate that word) and this week is all about prepping for that. I've got a menu plan to rejig and an exercise plan to put into place. I want to get going with the daily walking again. At one point I was walking 4+ kms (2 ½ miles) a day! I know. My feet hurt just thinking about it! But I have to do something about getting fit again.

I bought a diet book yesterday. Now, before anyone mentions the fact that diets don't work, I already know, LOL. But the book (the CSIRO's Total Wellbeing Diet Book 2 for the Aussies playing along) was discounted so I thought 'why not?' I read through it and was okay with the theory, so that will be the plan I'll loosely follow. They also have a downloadable checklist from their website which I've printed and put up on the fridge, which makes it easier - no calorie counting (we'll see how that goes...I'm normally a 'calorie counter' kind of gal), you just tick off the food units as you go through the day. The only niggly bit was the lower carb level than I'm used to, even during phases where I've dieted - 1 x 40g (about 1 ½ oz) bowl of cereal and 2 x 35g (about 1 ¼ oz ea) slices of bread per day on the basic plan. Ordinarily this would be what would turn me right off any healthy eating plan (I've always subscribed to the 4-5 serves of carbs a day theory, and this is 2-3) BUT three things stand out. The plan gives you the option of having 9 'indulgences' per week...one extra per day during the week and two per day on weekends. 'Indulgences' are anything up to 450 kjs (about 110 cal) per item - so technically that can mean a small piece of chocolate, or a glass of wine, or (I guess) an extra slice or two of bread. Second, their suggested sources of carbs can be changed - different breads, potatoes, rice, pasta etc (as long as it is portion controlled). And third, God knows that carbs are part of the reason I'm in the boat I am, so some restrictions (however painful!) are probably a good thing.

The plan is big on the 'good' foods - 3 serves dairy, 2 ½ serves vegetables/salad (a serve is 1 cup cooked vegies), 2 serves fruit, and plenty of lean protein - they suggest 4 meals a week of red meat, two of fish, and one of either chicken, pork or 'other'. It will take some getting used to at first, given that most of the dinner meals I serve up have some form of carb attached, but I'm determined.

I weigh in Monday morning. I may or may not include measurements, LOL.

In other news, I've set up (and have already begun filling in) a record of expenses for the September Financial Spring Clean (well it is Spring here!). In another few weeks I'll be able to draw some really useful conclusions from the records. I've way simplified it. I have ONE document to record everything now. The trick will be to remember to keep receipts and write down the expenses we've incurred that didn't come with a receipt.

Off I go!

For more Smart Habits Saturday posts, head over to The Lazy Organizer :)

Cheers,
Lizzie

10 comments:

A Juggling Mum said...

Hi Lizzie,

Good luck with your Healthy Eating Plan, I'm not keen on the 'diet' word either. I really need to start eating better too. I will read your blog with interest and hopefully you will be able to inspire me :)

Rachel xxx
www.ajugglingmum.net

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

Good luck, Lizzie! This is something I'm going to begin working on within the next couple of weeks as well. I'm going to be using Bob Greene's Best Life Diet. He's Oprah's trainer. I just want to get schooling underway before I start. God bless!!

penguinsandladybugs said...

Good for you! Sounds like a really well thought out plan!

Lizzie said...

Lori -

I saw Bob Greene's diet book on the shelf as well. Thought briefly about it, but to be honest, just want a plan to be able to put into effect on autopilot. Normally I wouldn't waste money on ANY brand new book, let alone a diet one (LOL) but I had a little pocket money up my sleeve and decided to go with it. The Total Wellbeing diet has been 'the' diet of choice for Aussies for the last couple of years. Some think the 'high protein' component is bad. In reality the meat serving is quite reasonable. And dead easy to remember in terms of portion sizes etc. I'm sooooo not an Atkins fan or any other diet that has a book attached (LOL) so in that regard its kind of surprising I even bought this book. But the nutrition principles the diet outlines seems reasonable.

Irrespective of all that, the main thing is that I need to do something about this weight NOW. We're talking 20kg, or something like 45lbs. I just feel blech all the time when I pull on clothes and I've resigned myself to the fact that although I'd love to start wearing more skirts, my figure just looks HORRID in them, so I'm still with the jeans :(

I had a bit of a debate this last week about whether putting up all those weights in the right sidebar was giving a little *too* much personal information away, but the 'airing of the dirty laundry', so to speak, sort of needs to be there so that I'm held accountable.

Can't say I'm going to go perfectly with this new plan but its absolutely worth a shot.

Cheers,
Lizzie

The Lazy Organizer said...

I don't think diets work either so just remember to eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full. I think it will help if you tell yourself that you "can" eat when you're not hungry, you just don't "want" to.

Have fun planning your meals this week!

Rebecca said...

I don't have any experience with dieting or weight loss stuff. But I don't like the word diet either, it just sounds temporary. Change in lifestyle or habits sounds like a more permanent & proactive term but either way making healthy changes is a good thing. Though I don't struggle with my weight I should eat more healthily & be more active. Good luck this week starting out your new plan!

Amanda said...

Happy Saturday

Anne @ AKA Mum said...

Go for it, Lizzie! DH & I used the original CSIRO book 2 years ago and I lost almost 11kgs over 12 weeks. It only took a week or so to get used to the lower carbs, we just made sure we added heaps of the unlimited veggies to our evening meal to keep us full. I kept the same brekky each day (2 slices Vegemite toast - no change from normal LOL) & still use some of the dinner recipes regularly as they're delish. We just use cheaper cuts of meat as eating veal cutlets and swordfish works out VERY expensive.

You've given me a prod to get them out and start getting back into the better eating habits eg eating regularly, healthier snacks, water, etc. I got the 2nd book last Christmas but haven't used it much, need to try some of the recipes out.

Lizzie said...

Anne -

I'm starting off on Level 2, so 6200kjs. It's the same as the 'basic' level but they allow nine 'indulgences' per week rather than the 2 allowed on the basic plan. I would have choked on the basic plan, LOL.

I'm searching for different recipes as we speak - most things I can just whip up (marinaded chicken, steak etc) and at worst, I will just fiddle a little with the meal I'm already serving up. But I'm so used to doing a 'pasta, chicken, frugal, beef, chicken, frugal, roast' type of arrangement I've come up short for the week. Alot of the meals I would normally serve up a more on the 'economical side' and centre around eggs, pasta, potatoes...you know, the cheap ingredients. I *will* have a problem at first with not being able to have many carbs and I anticipate lots of substitutions throughout the first few weeks as I find my feet in it. Oh and fish...I might have one meal of fish a fortnight, and this plan suggests two per week. I hope frozen fish is okay (non-breaded of course!) LOL.

If anyone has any low carb or if you know the Total Wellbeing Diet, ie, have the book or have done it in the past, I'd love to have any recipes sent my way. Just send them to lizzies-home@hotmail.com. Keep an eye out on Monday for MPM to see how I work it all out, LOL.

Cheers,
Lizzie

emma.jean said...

Best wishes, Lizzie. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails