Saturday, September 29, 2007

My Sewing Machine's Name is Hank

Cute Colors)

For the crafty amongst us, I've thrown a whole lot more links up in the Craft section in the left sidebar if you want to go take a browse :) Most of these are beginner-level and quite a few use fleece (just about the easiest beginner material to use, in my opinion). Head on over to check them out and then if something strikes your fancy, post in the comments!

I've had a ball doing the rounds of the 'Net tonight and stocking up on ideas - mind you, I don't have the time to sit down and do most of them, but we'll just gloss over that snippet for a moment, LOL. Question (and a somewhat delicate subject) for you all - what's the consensus on sewing your own cloth pads? I've been intrigued with the idea for quite some time and I have several links stored up someplace (a great one was found tonight) - would you guys like me to include these in the craft links? Most people I've spoken to are either all for the idea, or can't see the point/think its too icky. I made myself up a prototype a while back and, well, wore it to test it out and it was just about the most comfortable I've ever been . But I haven't taken it any further. You're either going to love the idea or hate it, LOL.

Also, if you want to drop a link in the comments about other sites you know of which offer free patterns, then I'm all ears (eyes?). I've been to all the major ones I think. My taste obviously runs fairly beginner level - Hancock Fabrics, where I snaffled a good many of my links from, has been about the best source I've found for simple, yet useful items for the home and kids. I lean more toward the sewing side of things too. So chime in!

P.S. If any of you go getting the crazy notion that I'm a 'hippy chick' because I mentioned cloth pads, rest assured I'm not, LOL. I kind of view them in the same category as sewing your own cloth diapers. And most of the gals I've come across online who are into the diaper sewing consider it a natural progression to move on to cloth for Mum too :)

Cheers,
Lizzie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am intrigued by the idea of making your own pads, have a few patterns and how to guides saved from ages ago, but I wonder just how well they work for those of us who have the after baby-please dont sneeze type of bladder issues.

For me pads are an every day item, this can be quite expensive. When sick we go for the heavy duty ones because coughing is even worse than sneezing and there is no way any woman wants to wet herself in public, even though the figures show 3 in 4 women who have had 2 or more babies, have this same problem to varying degrees.

Problem is, I have yet to find any blogs or sites that have actual people recommending them for this type of use, even though some companies do sell them for both menstruation and weakened bladder.

So, am interested yet hesitant. May have to make one up and try skipping with a skipping rope (why this is the same as sneezing I dont know! but it has the same effect on the bladder).

Haha and no i wouldnt call you a hippy chick for considering cloth pads (has to be nicer on your body than paper ones), I can attest to knowing some hippy chicks/ferals in the past, and trust me they dont use tailored cloth pads, have known some of them to use handfulls of green grass - not very effective at anything really, and others just a scrunched up rag, which may or may not get changed daily (trust me, at school they STUNK!!)

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention that I should by now own stocks in TENA. So these cloth ones would save me around $10 per week, which I have been paying for almost 10 years now.

Lizzie said...

Oh good lord...ick. Not you, the green grass thing :P

If you feel like emailing me privately (since you posted as 'anon') I can pass along the info/patterns/site URLs I have if you like. Might find them helpful :)

Cheers,
Lizzie

Related Posts with Thumbnails