Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Love Actually IS all around...

Quick note - you know it must be a quick drop-in when I don't bother to put a pretty pic up! - I'm having a 'blog fast' tomorrow. I'm trying the 'hide the cord' trick again.

What about you? Do you have a 'system' for managing your time online? I'm considering avoiding the computer altogether on weekends (a BIG ask for me). I got so much done the last time I banned myself from using the laptop over the weekend that its likely that will turn permanent.

Hey, it's my birthday next week! We have a nice evening planned on the day (Wed 3rd Oct...hint, hint) and its another example of how lucky we feel that we're able to access a qualified care/respite worker for Master J who looks after the other two kiddos as well (respite care in my area has had a really bad run in the last couple of years - many are turned away from the few services that do exist). Wanna know how much we pay? Remember this is for a worker who has had many, many years experience in a 'caring' role, manual handling certification (not that we need that part, but...) and relavent courses and senior first aid qualifications. $3 per hour...for ALL of the children. I know, it's almost criminal, isn't it? We usually take 5 hours so the maximum we pay for a night of qualified supervision is only $15. Official 'babysitters' are fairly uncommon around these parts (most are families and friends whom the child knows really well through other means) but I do know that when we looked into this seven or so years ago, a teenage, unqualified babysitter that we knew was charging $10 per hour, per child...and had offers rolling in. Good grief. Another reason to be thankful in our present circumstance. Of course, the service is heavily subsidized (no worker would work for those wages...) but what a blessing it has been to us over the last four or five years :) We'd happily pay more. Through this same respite service we've also given given accomodation and meal vouchers for a 'parents getaway' on two occasions - one in particular was to the Hilton, easily $100+ value. Gosh, did we feel guilty!

Do you know what my idea of the perfect birthday treat would be? An entire day at home, alone, curled up on the couch with hot chocolate (or, as the weather turns, a cold glass of something) watching all the chick flicks on my list. I'm saving The Holiday for when it gets closer to Christmas. Each Christmas Eve though, my tradition is to throw on Love Actually as I'm wrapping last-minute gifts. Trivia for you - did you know that all of the four principle actors in Sense & Sensibility were in Love Actually?

Emma Thompson was Elinor Dashwood in S&S and played Karen, the Prime Minister's sister, in Love Actually.

Hugh Grant played Edward Ferrars in S&S and (obviously) the Prime Minister in Love Actually.

Alan Rickman played Col. Christopher Brandon in S&S and Harry, Karen/Emma Thompson's husband in Love Actually.

And Kate Winslet was Marianne Dashwood in S&S and appeared as a cameo in Love Actually when Daniel (Liam Neeson) and Sam are watching Titanic together.

I could go on and on, with oh, about twelve thousand links between all the British actors in films of that ilk - but I won't, LOL.

See you on Thursday!

Cheers,
Lizzie

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails