Monday, January 21, 2008

Menu Plan Monday ~ January 21


It's about time I joined back in!

I was pleased with myself last week - I moved to a cash only system for groceries and even with an additional couple of trips to the grocery store, I still managed to come in under budget. And there were lots of convenience and snack foods included in that, so I'm certain I can do better this week.

As part of this week's menu, I'd like to highlight a couple of sites. They're old favourites and most of you will probably know them already, but I've found them invaluable for 'basics' cooking.

Hillbilly Housewife has a new caretaker. Susanne has taken over from Maggie, and while the home page looks a little different, I'm thrilled to find my beloved Fudge Brownies recipe is still there in all its glory, LOL.

Meanwhile, Maggie has moved on to new digs. Frugal Abundance is a reworking of her healthy and cheap eating ethos and there's loads of good stuff there, including a link to her new Frugal Abundance Blog.

We all know Tammy's Recipes by now, right? A continual inspiration. One of these days I'm going to attempt these. They look scary.

I've linked to Steph's Country Kitchen Goodness before, but it's worth another look-see.

And finally, for the Aussies/Other Metric Folk (and the Internationals, if they want to use this nifty site for cooking conversions), Taste.com.au is an awesome resource, especially if you remember seeing a recipe in a cooking magazine but have since thrown it out. I'm not sure if every single recipe from the magazines listed make it onto the website, but I think the vast majority do. You can search by collection (budget, barbecue, diabetes-friendly, low-fat, low-carb, low-kilojoule, highest-rated, kid-friendly - the list goes on) and heaps of other good info, like articles, a glossary, and forums. I love this site :)

On to the menu!

Monday ~ Spaghetti Bolognaise (garlic bread, salad)
Tuesday ~ Marinated Chicken Steaks (potato bake, salad)
Wednesday ~ Soup & Sandwiches (Tomato & Vegetable, toasted Ham & Cheese)
Thursday ~ Corned Beef (potatoes, carrots, broccoli, white sauce)
Friday ~ Fridge & Freezer Fare (leftovers)
Saturday ~ Gyros (made with beef strips instead of lamb) with Tzatziki (those scary homemade pitas again!)
Sunday ~ Homemade Pizza (homemade dippers with sauce, salad)

Weekend Baking (to stock the freezer for the brand new school year on Tuesday 29th!)

Cheesymite Scrolls (kind of like these types of recipes, but with cheese and Vegemite), Fudge Brownies (because they really are that awesome), and an incarnation of breadsticks that involve twisting the dough and adding herbs (kind of like these, but nicer, LOL).

Happy cooking everyone!

For more Menu Plan Monday participants, knock on I'm An Organizing Junkie 's door :)

Cheers,
Lizzie

9 comments:

Connie W said...

You have many of my favorite meals on your menu this week! Things I have forgotten about.

Thanks for all of the info and links. I can't wait to check them out.

We call our daughter Miss Moo too. How funny!

Have a great week!

Lizzie said...

Connie - I think it's actually fairly common! We used to dress her in those little leggings with feet when she was a newborn and she looked so much like a pixie from the likes of Enid Blyton stories that she was Pixie Princess for a while. Couldn't look at her without thinking of Fifi Trixibelle, aka Bob Geldof's kid (I think that's who she belonged to anyway! LOL). So we changed :P

Cheers,
Lizzie

Natalie said...

I have soup and sandwiches on my menu too! :)

Forgetfulone said...

I've never made gyros at home, but I love them. A Greek friend of my dad's used to make them in his restaurant. They were delicious. I love the dressing that goes with it.

Sherry said...

Thank you for the new HBHW links! I didn't know that there were two sites now!

Your menu sounds great, especially the Gyros!

Sherry

http://frugaldomesticgoddess.blogspot.com/2008/01/menu-plan-monday-using-what-you-have.html

Nic said...

I am with the above Gyros comment. We haven't had those in a while. It's so great to see what is going on the dinner table at other houses and then use it for inspiration at home!

A Juggling Mum said...

Hi Lizzie,

Your menu looks yummy! Thanks for the links, I'm going to go and check out the ones I haven't seen before :)

Have a great week!

Rachel xxx
A Juggling Mum

Sandra said...

Menu looks great :) Thanks for sharing!

My Menu Plan is up too!

Stephanie said...

Your menu looks good!
Stephanie

Related Posts with Thumbnails