Monday, January 7, 2008

Full Or Partial Feeds? - That Is The Question

Okay, I was all set to switch to a partial feed. If you happened to drop into your feed reader of choice during the last two hours, you would have noticed that I was on partials. Then, in reference to my earlier post on feed readers and stat counters, Kin left a comment which had me turning on my heels.

Kin pointed me in the direction of this post back in November by Meg at Dipping Into The Blogpond. From that one post, I followed a Bloggy Brick Road and arrived at my current conclusion which I'll elaborate on in a minute. But first, I highly suggest you swing by Meg's site and follow the links she gives. Be especially sure to read through the comments. I had no idea people felt as strongly about this as they do. I mean, I knew you were one or the other - kind of like (in Aussie terms) being a Holden or a Ford fan, LOL. But there's a whole underground 'thing' going on regarding full vs partial feeds.

Okay, my observations. I liked Meg's post, but even though I agree with her in principle and read her post with a grin (gotta love the cranky attitude, I've been that way myself today...*grin*), I do want to share my opinions on a few points she raised. By the way Meg, if you happen to click through to Lizzie's Home, I've just discovered your blog and love it. Please don't blacklist me, LOL.

Meg asks this question of anyone who burns partial feeds: Why do you do it? The following points are some of the reasons she theorizes about.

1. So I'd click through on your advertising?

Advertising, for some bloggers, is BIG. If you're well known enough (and I can list six big name American bloggers - we all know them! - who'd fit into this category, three of whom would be considered the cream of the crop) then you command attention simply because of your fans. Now I'm not saying being 'famous' in Bloggityville is necessarily a bad thing - these same five blogs (and scores of others) are ones I personally subscribe to because I get a kick out of reading them. They're funny. I can relate to them. But every single one of these six blogs have partial feeds. And not surprisingly, every single one of them has advertising. It makes sense, therefore, that their feeds would be set up this way. I'm not privy to their stats but I wouldn't hesitate to assume we're talking big numbers. Any revenue they gain from ads would be significant. Horrendous assumption? Maybe. But I'm confident enough to stick by that assumption nonetheless. BUT...

Even the bloggers who burn partial feeds in order to maximise visits to their sites and therefore money in their own pockets, are generally not doing it to annoy readers. Because at least for me, blog advertising and the associated brouhaha pales in comparison to a non-engaging writing style and jarring design. I think it's a teeny bit unfair to automatically cut someone off your subscription list simply for publishing a partial feed. Which brings me to my next point - advertising does not factor into Lizzie's Home and isn't likely to in the foreseeable future. Advertising/earning money from blogging was not the reason I began and certainly isn't going to be the driving force hereafter. And there are plenty of well-written, engaging, funny bloggers out there that fall into this category. Sure, it takes an extra click to visit our sites directly, but if advertising isn't on our page (therefore I guess cutting back on the lagging load times I kept reading about tonight) then this point becomes moot.

2. So I'd leave a comment?

I love, love, love comments. Most bloggers are secretly thrilled to get each and every one of them - kind of like when you were a kid and you found a letter addressed specifically to YOU in the mailbox. People who leave comments have been affected in some way (good or bad) by what you've written, and that's powerful stuff to a blogger. But publishing a partial feed doesn't have to always mean a solicitation for a comment. If the general anti-partial-feed movement is anything to go by, that's the last thing it will do. If I am affected by what someone else has written, I'll be moved to comment, regardless of whether they publish partial or full feeds. Of course if someone publishes a partial feed then the headline and first two lines of the post itself need to be totally eye-catching - more so than a full-feeder. This could lead to An! Over-use! Of! Punctuation! And! Excitement! When! It! Isn't! Actually! Warranted! which is equally as annoying as the partial feed itself, LOL. One of my favourite bloggers bounces around like this all the time and it always gets me laughing because even though she's a gal I always imagine her like a perpetual four year old boy, LOL.

3. So I'd increase your Alexa rank?

Okay, so before about three hours ago, I had never even heard of an Alexa rank, which shows how concerned I am by it! But you can sub in any other 'popularity measurer' you like - Technorati, stat counters, you name it. And this is the one that cuts closest to home for me. I don't have advertising, pay-per-post drives me absolutely bonkers, and while I squeal with excitement when I get a new comment, I don't think it has much to do with the fact I've published one particular feed option over another so far. But stat counters? Therein lies my undoing, LOL. Just like comments, most bloggers I know enjoy seeing their stat counters rise. And though becoming obsessed with rankings and stats can be counter-productive, I predominantly use mine to track where my readers are coming from and what they're viewing, not necessarily to watch my popularity soar. Because honestly? I'm like one weeny scale on the itty-bittiest fish in the great big Blogging Ocean. I have like 14 whole subscribers. I still get a kick out of a new comment because I feel like I know all the commenters personally, LOL. I wonder how much of that is lost for the Big Six Bloggers? There would have to be a point where they just cannot read each and every comment and that alone would kind of make me not want to comment in the first place, if you know what I mean. I don't recall ever commenting on any of the Big Six, mostly for this very reason.

So, after doing all this reading this afternoon, I came to these conclusions.

* If I'm not doing it for click-through advertising revenue reasons, how important is a partial feed to me anyway? Why not cut the reader some slack and stick with the full feed?

And second,

* If I am doing it for a more accurate picture of how 'popular' I am in Bloggityville, well, there are plenty of things wrong with that picture.

And third,

* While I'd love to get more hits to Lizzie's Home and therefore gauge better which posts have resonated the most (I'm finding that the majority of folks still don't comment, even if they've really liked a post) in order to produce more of that kind of writing in the future, really, does it matter? Wasn't the original reason I started blogging just to 'get out there'? When did all this other stuff become important?

Okay, so the irony of what I'm about to say isn't escaping me, LOL, but if you have any thoughts on this issue, please, please, please de-lurk! And if you have any tips on how to increase comments, I'm all ears (or eyes, as the case may be). I know that when I participate in blog carnivals I get by far the most comments but the vast majority of those are one-liner 'your menu looks great!' type things. The weeks that I haven't had time to participate my stats drop dramatically. I don't want to have the pressure of writing The Most Profound Blog Post Ever every single week, LOL.

Best comment wins a cyber Tim Tam... :P

Cheers,
Lizzie

15 comments:

Kay said...

Lizzie,
The one thing I've found out is that you have to leave comments on others' blogs in order to let people know you have a blog, too. Even if it is a one-liner. :-) I personally choose not to use feeds because I like popping in on each blog and if others don't like doing that, then I guess they won't visit me, which is fine. I post a variety of things and some get more comments than others. We all enjoy getting comments and I think we all get more lurkers than *talkers*. Everyone is so different that it is hard to say what will generate more traffic and comments.
I'm rambling now, so I'll quit. I hope you have a wonderful day! :-)

Amy said...

Who knew blogging could be so complex? I had never even heard of an Alexa score until now. Have you "registered" your blog over at Technorati? This website tracks who had added you to their blogroll, linked to your post, and so on. From this, they give you a little score. I added my blog over there this past summer and have enjoyed being able to see (and comment) on people who are linking to me. It is simple to add and only takes one minute.

As for receiving more comments- If you post something that could be considered "controversial" by some, you will get a lot of comments, but I wouldn't advise it. Believe me! ;o) LOL.

I have met many wonderful ladies through contributing on Tammy's Recipes Kitchen Tip Tuesday carnival. This has not only helped me receive more comments, but I have been blessed to meet some "e-friends" that I share much in common. Biblical Womanhood's Frugal Friday also has allowed me to meet many lovely ladies.

Posting interesting questions for your readers always makes for fun conversations, as can answering a reader's question and requesting that other's contribute. I hope these tips might be helpful to you. :o)

Lizzie said...

Thanks Mrs Brigham...I'll check out Kitchen Tip Tuesday later today :)

The thing with carnivals for me is, it has always annoyed me that unless you happen to be in the top, say, 20 names on Mr Linky, it's fairly likely your participation in the carnival in the first place won't gain many more hits or comments. Because a lot of the carnivals (okay all) I participate in are US, and post in the mornings, if I want to get on Mr Linky as early as I gain, I have to 'babysit' the computer sometime around 2 - 5pm waiting for the host sites to post. And (as far as I know, LOL) you can't auto-post a Mr Linky like you can to publish your post itself. I've taken (when I do particpate in the blog carnivals - bit pressed for time lately though) to writing my posts the night before and then when I sit down to luch, manually posting them and hopefully signing Mr Linky at the same time. I guess the bigger question is, WHY do I fuss about that? LOL. Something for me to think about...

P.S. Also, the irony of me participating in Kitchen Tip Tuesday isn't lost - I can only cook basics!

Cheers,
Lizzie

Meredith said...

First of all, I know you have more than 14 subscribers, cause my Bloglines feed counts 33!

I am one who doesn't like partial feeds, though they are necessary for advertising revenues.

I have very little time at the keyboard, and I often don't click through, even for some of my favorite Big League bloggers.

I think the best solution is to add a hyperlink at the end of your feed that says "Comments"--giving your feed readers a quick and easy prompt to encourage click-throughs and discussion. On the feeds I read with this comment link, I find myself commenting more often.

However, it seems like only Wordpress offers this Feedburner comment flare. To the best of my research this option is not yet available for us Blogspot bloggers.

I'd love to know, who are your Top 6 big bloggers?

Lizzie said...

Hi Meredith :)

See this is where I get confused. Looking at my own feed (which I subscribe to for admin purposes) in Google Reader, I have only 14. Yet I know there are different ways of tracking subscribers so how do you get an accurate measure? I began with Bloglines but then switched as I was getting multiples of posts - haven't had that problem with Google Reader.

I've seen those Comment flares before too, and wondered how they get those. Need to research that one, but disappointing that it's not available on Blogger.

As for the Big Six? *Smile* I subscribe to ALL of these and love them to death so the whole partial feeds/subscribers thing basically doesn't even factor into it for me - I'd read them even if they posted pictures of grass growing, LOL. But they are Boomama, Big Mama, Rocks in my Dryer (The Big Three), then there's a whole raft that are a tier under that and pretty equal but they'd be 5 Minutes For Mom (the site is great, but I'm finding I get less and less out of it because it's filled with giveaways more so than 'bloggy stuff'), Because I Said So (who as far as I can figure it, is super-popular) and Confessions of a Pioneer Woman. Actually Pioneer woman is more likely to be part of the elite along with Boomama et al but I don't read her. I won't go into why (it's usually the kind of thing I would love - her site is gorgeous and my husband (aka the amateur photographer) is very jealous of her photography talent) but there's a particular part of what she blogs about that really sits ill with me. It is her blog and she is absolutely entitled to speak of what she likes on it, but I'm just not comfortable with this particular part of what she talks about and so I vote with my feet. Or fingers, LOL. At any rate, I'm sure she doesn't miss me!

Cheers,
Lizzie

Meredith said...

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity! I love Pioneer Woman's recipes, but she's actually more well known than any of the first bloggers you mentioned.

In one interview she said she gets over 25,000 visitors a day!

Now, as to figuring out how many subscribers you have by feed...there's only one way to do that with accuracy (that I know of).

If you visit my blog you will see a little Feedburner bar on the right. Feedburner is a service that funnels your feeds (blogger has 3) into one easy-to-subscribe-feed with a clean look.

If you go to Feedburner and follow directions for "burning your feed"--basically, consolidating those 3 feeds into one and funnelling them through Feedburner's free service, then you will get to see exactly how many subscribers you have from ALL of the feed readers combined.

Feedburner also gives you an easy subscribe button to place on your sidebar (yours doesn't have to show the total number, like mine does). A new reader can click on the button, and Feedburner will let her subscribe using every choice of feed readers in one simple click.

I love it when things are this easy!

Lizzie said...

I've seen those and I've tried to do that with feedburner before...but for some reason, I had some type of error come up. I'll try again, but I think it as to do with them continuously prompting me for my password in the set up phase, when I clearly gave it...anyhoo, will try again.

Thanks, by the way, for your help :)

Cheers,
Lizzie

Lizzie said...

Okay, so for some reason Feedburner accepted me claiming my feed this time. I don't have time to play today, but stay tuned and by week's end I should have some new buttons up (will probably remove the separate Google Reader and Bloglines buttons then).

Thanks for the reminder Meredith :)

Cheers,
Lizzie

Meg said...

Hi Lizzie,

That was a rather cranky post and I generally *try* to be more positive - but sometimes clearly not hard enough ;) Thanks to Kin for plugging the post :)

I really enjoyed reading your post and I like your style. I agree with the conclusions that you came to, and (FWIW) think that in your situation you've done the right thing.

I think that if partial feeds ever work, it would be on really popular blogs that people couldn't bear to miss, a luxury most of us little bloggers can't afford ;)

Meredith has also provided good advice about FeedBurner as a better way of getting a true picture of your subscriber numbers. Google only count the number of subscribers in Google Reader, so anyone using another feed reader is not counted (from other feed back total count can be 2 to 10 times more than Google Reader count - but seems to average about 3 or 4 times). I wrote a bit about this in November, but am loathe to drop a link on my first comment ;)

Many thanks for your review of the post and you've got a new subscriber :)

Lizzie said...

Hey, awesome Meg! There's always a tendency, especially when you're commenting on someone else's work and especially when you may not agree with them, to put someone out. I worried that I'd done the same to you. I inadvertantly made a post that referenced a situation and a person that another Aussie blogger knew personally and I was rather harsh and rather forward about my opinion on the matter - and I felt horribly bad about it later because I realised how bad it would have come across to someone loyal to this person, even though I never meant any offence.

Anyway, glad to see you've subscribed!!! LOL. I've been reading your blog sporadically for a while now but haven't yet subbed...of course that is exactly what I'm going to do RIGHT THIS SECOND, LOL. I'm also going through the Feedburner help section at the moment, trying to figure out if I need to do anything extra to set it all up. I don't need to add code or anything to the site?

Cheers,
Lizzie

Lizzie said...

No, see, I knew I'd subscribed to you already....

Cheers,
Lizzie

Meg said...

Lizzie

"There's always a tendency, especially when you're commenting on someone else's work and especially when you may not agree with them, to put someone out."

Yup - that would be the one's with the big egos ;) It's all good :D

It would be good to see you at the Aussie Bloggers Forum (www.aussiebloggers.com.au/forum) if you have the time. It's a great place to bounce ideas.

Lizzie said...

Okay, maybe you can help me with Feedburner then...you seem to know it back to front, LOL.

I've signed up etc etc...I know I need to put in a code somewhere to track the stats but the instructions aren't clear on Feedburner Help for inserting it into Old Blogger...totally confused. Going over to aussiebloggers now. With tail between legs :P

Cheers,
Lizzie

Lightening said...

Hey Lizzie,
I'm big on full feeds myself. I am more likely to click through and read a comment if I have a full version of what the person has written. I skip at least half the posts of those in my feedreader that are partial feeds. It takes an excellent writer to engage the reader in just a few short lines.

I can understand the whole advertising thing but I still think in the long run your attitude as a blogger needs to be more about giving than receiving. Then everything falls into place.

The same goes for comments. I guess you build up relationships over time by commenting on other blogs etc. I don't know. I think most bloggers would like to get more comments than they do. It all takes time which we all seem to have a lack of. :-)

Meg said...

Hey Lizzie

You seem to be getting the help you need at the forum :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails