Thursday, January 24, 2008

Healthy Recipe Call-Out

Okay, wise and loving citizens of Bloggityville...I need your help.

I'm in the process of compiling a 'cheat sheet' of healthy meals for those weeks when all I have the time to do is plug meals into my menu template without my usual will-this-side-dish-work-with-that-main-and-what-is-the-calorie-content-of-this-anyway contemplations.

And I'm drawing a blank. Sort of.

I do have some meals on my list, most of which are adaptations of regular family meals (you know, bolognaise sauce with a pathetic mouthful of pasta as opposed to the mountain I sincerely long for), but I need new stuff.

So I'm asking you dear folk to bring forth your favourite healthy recipes in order that I might update my regular menu rotation and (hopefully) erase part of the results of the genetic influence I like to call Big Hips Syndrome. Recipe website recommendations very much appreciated also, especially those that are specifically geared toward healthy meals and have lots of entries on them. Because I like options my friends.

My hips and I thank you.

Cheers,
Lizzie

4 comments:

Teri said...

How about a stir-fry with brown rice? I make it easier by buying the frozen bagged veggies (that way I always have them on hand and pre-cut) and a packet of stir-fry seasoning mix, which I make healthier by preparing with low-sodium soy sauce.

Another favorite is chicken parmesan (which could also be made into sandwiches). I simply dip chicken breast strips (they cook faster) into milk & then dip in bread crumbs (or corn flake crumbs), then place them on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. I cook at 400 degrees until cooked through (15-20 min) & then spoon some pre-heated marinara on top, along with some pre-shredded mozzarella. and bake or broil until the cheese is melted. Serve with additional sauce, a side of spaghetti, a veggie (usually broccoli) & a loaf of bread! I'm sure I can think of other good ones - I'll get back to you! :)

Totallyscrappy said...

Soups have been a quick way for me to make wonderful and tasty meals that happen to be good for us. When the soup has less than 300 calories I don't ahve to settle for a tiny bowl!

Here is a link to a Rachel Ray Salsa "Stoup"

http://www.recipezaar.com/178507

Harriet Archer said...

I make a lot of stuff with chicken tenders (I buy them in bulk from Steggles - they have a cash shop).

Quick marinade is oj, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and chilli flakes. Mmmmm.

Serve that up with either oven baked wedges (chop spuds into thinnish wedges, bung 'em in a freezer bag with a bit of olive oil - tablespoon to three big spuds; some garlic and/or some herbs. MAssage the oil over the potatos and tip into a baking dish. Cook on HOT for about 20-30 minutes. You'll need to give them a bit of a stir after 15 mins)

Or another favourite is to microwave spuds, slice them in half length ways so there's two skinny flat halves, and crisp them up on the BBQ (we cook just about everything on the barbie)

And salad. Light and tasty!

Scattered Mom said...

I really love soups too, and they are very easy to throw together.

What do you like? Not like? I'm sure that Canadian vs Aussie tastes are different, but I think I could help you out... :P

Related Posts with Thumbnails