Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thankful Thursday ~ The Country


Today I am thankful for Australia :) I'm thankful for the fact that I was blessed to have been born into a position of wealth (not by western world standards, but by world standards), and I'm thankful that even though we all joke that Australia is on the other side of the world, and we do things backward here (personally I think we do things just fine, its everyone else who's backward!) and like Vegemite, I would not want to live anywhere else.

I live in an awesome little neck of the woods. Where we are in the suburbs is smack in the middle of four key tourist areas. Do you feel like going hiking? We have some of the best walking trails and rolling hills in the state about 20 minutes east of us. Feel like a little bit of city shopping? Try around 40 minutes north. To the west (anywhere from 10-30 minutes away) we have several gorgeous beaches, the kind with golden yellow sand and surf life saving clubs (not as impressive as the Manly or Bondi clubs in Sydney, but still, LOL). And about 25 minutes to the south we have a major wine district, so if you're sans children one weekend, a winery tour is a total must. An hour's drive away we have whale watching (in season) and all along the coast, wonderful fishing opportunities. You know, so you can pack Hubby off with his mates while you and the girls hit the wineries, LOL. Oh, and the food down there is spectacular.

I grew up in a rural setting, on a small acreage that we developed into a hobby farm of sorts. I built cubby houses in the shearing shed, dodged scour-y cowpats (diarrhea!) in the dairy, and wove willow tree baskets. That area holds some great memories, but later, after I'd met Hubs and we'd started a family, we felt more at ease closer to the city. This came into full force when J was diagnosed and we quite literally needed to be close to early intervention facilities and services. And now, the focus is on schooling. With one special needs kid and one gifted kid (and a pleasantly gorgeously ordinarily angelic daughter, LOL), our future education needs are right up there on the list of life factors.

To finish on an exciting note, Hubs won a place in a bigger, more important training course which is gearing him up for a move (internally) at work. His duties thereafter will shift, and we'll get a nice raise. But the coolest thing about this is that I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that he would be accepted. He, of course, was less sure (why are men apt to do that?) but I'm so proud of the work he's put into this.

Now, if I can just get my OWN act together...sigh.

Crystal at God Is In Control...Not Me is hosting Thankful Thursday for the time being. Swing by to say hi!

Cheers,
Lizzie

15 comments:

Denise said...

This was an awesome post.

lori said...

lovrd it...I am on my way to Australia!!! It sounds fabulous!!
great post this morning!
(or is it afternoon?:))
peace,
lori

Lori said...

I hope one day to visit Australia, it has always been a wish of mine.
Congrats on hubbys moving up, change can be scary but an awesome thing.

Blessings.

Melly said...

I so enjoyed your post. I have always wanted to visit Australia. Maybe one day I will be able too.

Lizzie said...

Come on over folks. Just remember to head further west than Sydney!

Cheers,
Lizzie

Cyndi said...

Oh, I hope God brings us to Australia someday. I loved this post, and congrats to your husband! This is an exciting time!

Mary said...

I've been to Australia...in July. Although it was winter for you and a bit chilly, we loved it! And I've had Vegemite! No comment on that one! HA! Thanks for sharing today.
Blessings!

Lizzie said...

My idea of the perfect holiday would be to spend at LEAST two or three months touring the US - just hiring a car in between flying to different destinations and just visiting all these wonderful places I keep hearing about. I always thought it would be neat to do a tour of friends I've found through Bloggityville and film a documentary of sorts on a camcorder for posterity, LOL. Alas, one can dream....

Cheers,
Lizzie

Mary said...

I enjoyed this wonderful post. We have so many things to be thankful for. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Mary

Heather@Mommymonk said...

You sound so happy to be exactly where you are - that's great! Glad to hear of your husband's new blessing too!

Ella said...

What a nice post. I really enjoyed reading it. Australia is a very beautiful place, not that much difference between Australia and South Africa, I love my country.

God Bless

Kathleen said...

That is so awesome for you and your husband. I so enjoyed you post and you sound like you very much have it all together! God Bless!

UKZoe said...

I think everything about Australia is lovely, EXCEPT Vegemite!

Cheryl said...

I loved reading your post. It was very interesting. I would love to visit Australia. It sounds like so much fun. It is totally different from where I live. I live on top of a mountain. Yeah, a country girl. Really enjoyed my visit to your page. Thanks for sharing. God Bless

Crystal said...

Great list! Thanks for sharing this week and joining in with Thankful Thursday

Related Posts with Thumbnails