Friday, November 30, 2007

Frugal Friday ~ November 30


Good afternoon/morning all!

This is my first Frugal Friday but it's a good 'un. I had to hit the local shopping centre today to do some errands - jeans shopping (auggh) and a little Christmas shopping too. But that's not where the frugal part comes in - and we'll just gloss over that for the time being, okay? Good. LOL.

Around the holidays, when they know they can guarantee lots of visitors, our city's public transport company sets up a stall somewhere in the shopping centre with information on timetables, route changes and the like. They also have one of these machines nearby:


It's a promotional game where you slot your ticket into the ticket validation whatsit and the wheel spins on the screen and you're playing to win another ticket to the value of whichever ticket you've just used to play the game. Make sense?

I nearly walked past the stall today. I was literally on my way to buy a multitrip bus ticket (the stall is info-only, they don't sell the actual tickets there) and I decided to run my current ticket through the machine. I usually carry two types on me - a black 'interpeak' ticket, valid for travel between 9 and 3 on weekdays (the majority of my bus travel occurs then because it is within school hours) and a red 'peak' ticket, valid for travel anytime. I'd just used my last trip on my black multitrip ticket, which is worth $14.80 for 10 trips, so I only had my red one, and it only had one trip left on that too.

Wouldn't you know - I won! This isn't just a couple of bucks either - because I'd validated a full price multitrip ticket, I won a full price multitrip ticket:

Yep, I just saved almost $27.

A single trip 'peak' ticket is worth $4.10 so it's much more economical to buy the multitrip tickets in advance (you save $14.10 over the ten rides). You could therefore say I saved myself $41.00 today instead of $27 but I'm thrilled with anything extra in my pocket at this time of the year :)

I'll probably still go ahead and buy the interpeak ticket (those tickets are worth $2.50 each so you save a little over $10 buying a multitrip ticket) but I'm glad I've got this baby in my purse :) I use the black tickets quite frequently, about once a week, but the red tickets last me around 6 months.

Crystal at Biblical Womanhood hosts Frugal Friday. Check her out!

Cheers,
Lizzie

2 comments:

stacey said...

wow-awesome!!

Mom2fur said...

Good for you! It's always nice when something really good, and unexpected, happens, isn't it?

Related Posts with Thumbnails