Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thankful Thursday ~ The Lesson


It's all pretty simple this week. I'm thankful I found this verse, also known as my new 'scripture motto', LOL.

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." (Hebrews 12:11, NIV)

This is a page straight out of my book this week :P And it's so true - it is painful!

I'm thankful that in the last week I've been given the grace to accomplish (or at least make serious inroads into) something that seemed insurmountable just a few days ago. I've been a little study machine this week, firing off assignments left, right and centre. It feels good, but it has taken its toll on my health. I'm thankful that I've been given the best reminder possible to get off my takookus when I'm meant to next time!

I'm thankful for a wonderful husband who has put up with a fair chunk of irrationality and stress from his wife these last couple of weeks. I'm so proud of him - he went to work in a suit today. Okay, so that's not why I'm proud, LOL, but I'd be lying if the sight of the man (who normally wears very casual gear as specified by the type of job that he does) in a classic pinstripe didn't get the neurons firing! It almost made up for the fact that he wrenched the blankets off to wake me up this morning, LOL. I really, really wanted him to stay home for a bit longer... (oooh, that's a bit naughty, isn't it? Forget I said that!)

Can I also be a tad shallow and say I'm thankful that I hit Toys R Us at 9:30 this morning instead of 11:30 like originally planned? It's the first day of a sale and the big ticket items are usually all gone in two or three hours and as I was leaving the store (with about 85% of what I went in to get - and the rest was available, I just left it there - I'm a very touchy-feely shopper so I gain ideas from the catalogues then go in search of stuff to touch, LOL) I overheard two separate arguments between shoppers and Toys R Us staff. Our Toys R Us store can be a little finicky with having enough sale stock and it was a bit rough that things were not available only an hour after opening, but sheesh. Anyway, I'm thankful I got out of there quickly!

I'm thankful I'm slowly getting through my shopping list for Christmas. It's a bit tedious but I refuse to pay, for example, $30 for a board game when I know it just went on sale for $10, know what I mean? So when I see something that fits the bill in a catalogue I try as hard as I can to get there on opening day of the sale. With fourteen thousand other people, LOL.

I'm thankful for the smile on Master J's face this afternoon when I presented him with his much-anticipated Tamagotchi version 4.5. Part of the reason I battled the insanity of the Toys R Us endeavour was to grab one of these on sale. He saved up for it himself so it's not a Christmas thing. J gets into these things, Electronic Child that he is :)

For more Thankful Thursday participants, pop in to Laurel Wreath Reflections.

Cheers,
Lizzie

5 comments:

snippets said...

So lucky of you to have gotten most of what you wanted! my son is so into these new gadgets, too ... and he is also saving for some of the games for his game console. :)
Blessings ...

Cheryl said...

You are doing great to have most of your things already. I am so bad to wait. I am going tomorrow and praying that I have the same luck. God Bless!

Lynn said...

Lizzie,

You just delight my heart with all you write. The suit, wrenching of blankets, Toys R Us.... Thank you for shring your life with me today. Love you.

Lizzie said...

Aww, thanks guys!

I am Crabby Lady today - I've mostly finished all my assignments but instead of typing them as I went (my usual practice) I have a large notebook filled with the handwritten answers - so today is all about typing. It's better than trying to actually work out the answers, but still. It will take a long time. Sloooooowly inching my way forward.

Cheers,
Lizzie

Mary said...

Discipline is good, but painful. Like the body builders say....no pain no gain. Guess that's true in the spiritual also. Our flesh cries out when it's dying! You're doing great on your shopping! Good for you. Thanks for sharing. Blessings on your weekend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails