Saturday, November 3, 2007

Boys Are Gross & Other Saturday Stuff

Cute Colors)

Today has been all about the cleaning. I'm beginning to understand now why we tried for the third time to get the girl - boys are disgusting. This whole 'standing up to pee' design is seriously flawed. I've just had a traumatic experience cleaning the kids' toilet. Not the inside. Oh no, that was just fine. Scrub, swish, flush. All done. Beside the toilet was another matter entirely. I think I've actually answered the great question on life - yes, women are a better design!

After finishing up cleaning the toilet (I needed a cup of tea to calm my stomach), I systematically worked my way around the rest of the house. As we speak, I'm on the my third load of laundry for the day. When that's done, there are three or four more. Yes, I'm behind okay? LOL.

Another household task I hate - making the top bunk. Oh, how I hate that. Thankfully we have arranged for the sale of the home gym and after a big decluttering effort in that fourth bedroom, Boofah will have his own room (poor boy has shared with his sister for years, with the last two being in a purple/cloud painted girly room). And then goodbye horrible bed making experience! The bedrooms are not overly large though so the original plan was to buy new bunks when they reach the Age of Homework - the type that have the desk underneath. Change of plans - they can make do. Once Mama gets her singleton beds back, she's not going to want to give up the decadent bed making!

Master J turns NINE on Thursday. I'm the mother of a nine year old. That would make me (*counts fingers*.....27, 28....) OLD. By rights I shouldn't be 'old' until early December but the little angel arrived a whole month early, giving us quite a scare in the process. Nothing like an emergency medical flight to calm the nerves of a 7 ½ month pregnant woman (labour was stopped and he held on for another 2 weeks). October/November 1998 was a big couple of months. I went from pregnant girlfriend to engaged mother in the space of four weeks.

So, he's nearly nine. He wants a party. I so don't have half a brain cell left to devote to organising anything. So I'm taking the cheat's way out - we're just paying for two (possibly three) of his friends to come bowling with us. You can have official birthday parties there but if we don't go that route we're just going to have a game, walk around the corner to McD's and have everyone pay for their own meal. I know. It's sad. As well as being old I'm clearly devoid of love for my children. I may even resort to a boxed cake mix. The shame.

In my defence, I have a fair bit on my plate this week. On Monday I'm going on an exciting shopping expedition to pad out the shoebox I'm sending to Jenny V as part of the shoebox swap hosted by The Homespun Heart. This is the first one of these I've joined in with and it's so much fun. Tuesday and Wednesday will be spent studying and getting the house company ready and then going out to dinner for Master J's birthday. Funny story in that. My Hubs is kind of known for his, um, 'careful accounting'. We went out to dinner for my birthday early in October and loved the pasta/pizza restaurant we chose so much we've decided that larger 'family restaurants' are the go for Takeaway Night now, rather than cheaper fast food twice as often. We'd only had two bites of our meal before we were planning to come back for J's birthday - so we're all looking foward to Wednesday night. Having Hubs agree - and not even under duress - to a purposely more expensive meal on a regular basis totally floored me. Apparently a good chicken parmigiana is the way to this man's heart.

And then on Thursday, my brother, SIL and their three girls are coming for a visit. It's been a long time since we've had five houseguests at once and - gasp! - there'll be six children underfoot covering ages 9 down to 4. Our house is okay for five, but will be small for 10, LOL. We're turfing Boofah and Miss Moo out of their bedroom (they'll spread their sleeping bags out in J's room), having my brothers girls in there instead, and dragging out the air mattress to the loungeroom for the grown ups. Hosting so many people at one time is rare but I'm already wishing I had a sofa bed :P We've had rain for the last few days so I'm really hoping it clears up and we can get out and do stuff with everyone. My city has a large Christmas pageant on this Saturday, the day they leave, so they might want to head in for that.

And after we get over all of that, we're full speed ahead to Hubs' 30th birthday (December 3), Miss Moo's 6th (December 19), Christmas (you should know when already!) and another rare family visit in January, this time my sister and her two kids (12 and 10), flying from across the country. I haven't seen my sister since our mother's funeral in June 06, and before that, when Miss Moo wasn't yet a year old (so five years). It costs so much to fly anywhere these days, especially with kids in tow. Flights to the funeral cost us about $1000 (last minute fares) and that was just for two adults return. I'm so excited about her visit, even if she is an old duck (35! LOL). It will be smack in the middle of the summer school holidays for us so we're planning lots of outtings with our combined five kids.

When did we all get so grown up? Do you ever get that feeling? Like you're still playing house and then you get a jolt of realism - hang on, I really am responsible for the welfare of children and the paying of bills and cleaning of the house - and the scrubbing of toilet floors. Ick.

Happy Saturday everyone :)

Cheers,
Lizzie

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails