Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday ~ August 1

*** Please scroll down for an explanation as to why this post appears to have nothing whatsoever to do with parenting advice! ***

Good morning everyone!

Have you noticed that nobody writes actual paper-and-envelope letters anymore?

This was further reinforced to me this week when I tried (in vain) to find a letter writting set in stores. You know the ones - they probably featured prominently in your childhood as birthday presents from Grandma, LOL. I couldn't find them anywhere! I finally came across a set by Hallmark in the local Kmart store, only to choke at the price. They wanted $20 for 20 sheets of A5 paper, 15 envelopes, and two notecards! No thank-you-very-much!

I finally decided to make my own letter writing set. I started with this clear plastic file box:


I think I spent about $4 on it (no doubt I could have bought it cheaper elsewhere, but I wasn't in the mood to look!). Next, I bought a 50-sheet pack of Tudor marbled paper (about $6) and envelopes that approximated a match, also from Tudor (around $5). This is good quality paper - not flimsy.


The simple marbled design on the paper gives it a classic touch and the whole kit cost about $15, for more than twice the amount of the Hallmark set. The clear box is re-usable and was the perfect size to hold one 50-sheet pack of paper and the 20 envelopes:


It would be quite easy to cut the paper down to A5 size (most of the letter writing paper I saw was like that). You could 'decorate' the envelopes and paper quite classily - maybe a single heart or star sticker in the upper left corner or a rubber stamp design.

I'm going to hand-write one letter or thankyou note to a member of my family or to friends each week on Desk Day. Just because we shouldn't let go of that sort of thing :)

*** Edited to add: Of course it WOULD have to be the one week, in oh, about two months that I decide to do a WFMW post and then realise it is a THEMED WEEK on parenting advice. D'oh! Okay, parenting advice....parenting advice....just so I can link to this post and not waste it....LOL.....

Ah, I've got it...

When a three year old swallows a Magnetix ball, don't panic (unless said child is choking or can't breathe....then panic. You have my permission. But ring the ambulance first. Because that's just good parenting advice, LOL). Instead, remember calmly that you did the same thing yourself when you were three and it made for all sorts of interesting wedding anecdotes many, many years later as your brothers recounted the day it finally 'came out at the equator' after the third day. And what point is there to parenting at all unless you can store up a whole bunch of wonderful stories just like that one to torture your poor child on their first date, prom, wedding day, during the labour of their first born...? ***


Cheers,
Lizzie

5 comments:

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

This is a lovely idea!

But if you want to actually buy a set, you might try checking at the dollar store next time. I've seen writing sets there, as well as pretty items that could be easily put together in a set.

Lizzie said...

Jenn -

I tried there, LOL. Would you believe all I could find in the three 'cheapie' stores I had access to were several pads of writing paper, but no actual sets? The paper I did eventually buy has that thicker, more 'expensive' (LOL) feel to it too, the stuff they use for wedding stationery almost. But it did give me the idea to keep looking for cheaper components to make into sets as gifts for others I know.

Cheers,
Lizzie

penguinsandladybugs said...

You know, that would make a cute gift as well! I don't mind that you were off of the theme...I'm glad I found your site, so much info to check out!!

Sharon said...

I thought the stationary set was a great idea. I thought you were going to tie it in by talking about having kids write actual letters, or better yet, thank you notes! :)

JessNZ53 said...

Hi,
Great idea re making your own paper! It's SO hard to find writing paper these days (came across this website from a google search on trying to buy it!)
:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails