Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday ~ August 15 (Cleaning Kids' Rooms)

Okay, on the cards for this week is a simple way to get kids to clean their rooms, a small bit at a time. Especially if you know there's a lot in there you need to declutter but you're busy doing other things.

Give them each a plastic dish tub. I bought mine for a few dollars each as 'folding baskets' so they could tote them back to their rooms and put laundry away themselves, but we've since switched to a 'most things hang' system so the tubs now take up this job.

I call it the "Five, Ten, Fifteen". I know, wildly imaginative but it will do until I come up with something more exciting, LOL. I send each kid into their room with instructions to find me five things they would be happy to donate (usually toys). I can almost always be found in the kitchen or doing some other chore, but the rule is they have to come and find me and show me the contents of their tubs. I then put all the items away in our perpetual 'donation box' in the spare room.

On the second run, they're to find me ten things to throw away (usually paper clutter). Again, I vet the contents of the tubs.

Third run is minus the tubs, and they're to spend 15 mins straightening up, putting things back in the toybox, and so on. Occasionally, there'll be times when they just can't find 5 things to donate or 10 things to throw away (or recycle). They just skip straight on to the 'Fifteen' and the whole thing just gets done quicker :)

(Fans of Flylady will recognise some of the same principles - she does a '27 fling boogie' that can be quite effective in really messy rooms, but for younger kids, starting off smaller can be a lot more effective. And ingraining the habit is what we're aiming for here, not necessarily a perfectly clean room on the first day, LOL)

This is a good way to introduce 'cleaning your room' to littlies, as it can become quite a game. If they're up for it, send them back in for a second round of "Five, Ten, Fifteen" to get even further ahead. It's also a good way to get them into the habit of regularly purging unwanted toys to give to charity, without that load falling on Mum's shoulders during a Big Room Clean Up which, as we all know, can take all afternoon. Sometimes when kids are told to 'go clean your room', they can look around and feel confused about where to start - this is a good alternative. Once the room is clean and tidy, a quick "Five, Ten, Fifteen" of the room each day or even every second day, will be enough to keep things straight.

Or so goes the theory!

Cheers,
Lizzie

9 comments:

Nikki said...

I love this idea. This encourages them to donate the stuff and I won't have to sneak around grabbing things to get rid of. I'm going to try it out!

Smockity Frocks said...

I love it! Thanks!

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

This is really clever, Lizzie! I do occasionally send my kids to their room to do a 27 fling boogie, but I like the idea of finding things to give away, too. Thank you!

Kathy in WA said...

This is a great idea. I often send the children off to "pick up ten things." They report back to me (and get a M&M or jelly belly if I'm feeling generous) and then go off to pick up another ten.

I like the idea of having them find things to give away on a regular basis (as opposed to twice a year when we deep clean).

Duckabush Blog

mummifiedx5 said...

I love this idea! Brilliant!!
I have trouble getting the kids to keep their rooms tidy so I'm always up to trying new ideas and this one I'm definately going to try :)

madridmom said...

This is a great idea. For getting the kids to help pick up common areas like the living room I have tried these two ideas:
"Give me 5" -- we set the timer for 5 minutes and everyone works together in the problem room, or I assign each kid his own area and say to each "give me 5 in (fill in the blank)"
"Double trouble pickup" This is another way to attack the clutter in the living room (our worst common area). Instead of using the timer which doesn't work real well with the pokey ones who think they can just hang out and do nothing till the timer rings, each child has to pick up a certain amount of items and put them away. When they are done they are done so it helps motivate even the laziest ones. The number is double their age (4 year old picks up 8 items, etc.) We normally have a 20 item limit so the older ones don't feel abused. (ha!)

Stephanie said...

I do the 15 minutes clean up. It worked well at first but now I find myself constantly on #2 to keep moving. I think having them do your first two steps would help. Thanks a bunch!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

LOVE IT! I need a little variation to all my tricks; this one will be used tomorrow! Thanks. ;)

Laane said...

Absolutely great!

This one wil be used.

Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails