Saturday, August 4, 2007

Where Does This Lie on the Catastrophe Scale?

Yesterday, Hubs and I had what you could term a 'disagreement'.

But first, a bit of a side note. I made a decision on Day One of this blog that I would never directly post about any personal issue I had with my husband. But bare with me...

Oh, I was hopping mad! For the two years we've lived here, whenever we've outgrown clothing, or household items, or books, I've been packing them away ready for the Big Charity Drop-Off that never eventuated. This past week, Hubs had time off and we were going to finally get around to donating the bags while the kids were in school. There were at least a dozen carefully sorted and packed away garbage-can sized bags full of stuff.

I won't tell you the exact nature of the argument because it won't serve any purpose. As with any argument, there were two sides and we each thought we were right. Let's just say at one point I had to physically remove myself from the room.

Sometimes, the best thing we can possibly do for our spouses, is to keep our mouths shut.

It took all of my energy to leave the room. I wanted to stay and fight. My instincts were telling me to stay and argue my point. I did, for a little while. And I could see the curtain drop over his face - you know the one that says "I'm here physically, but I'm just not listening to you anymore!"? That look infuriates me! So though it took every fibre of my being, I stopped.

I can't say that I was Little Miss Sunshine for the rest of the day, but I know stepping back when I did was the best thing I could have done.

Ironically, I met Hubs 11 years ago today. I'm not sure I fell in love with him that first day, but there was definitely a physical attraction! Through the years we've been through an awful lot, but we're strong. I love him to bits, even when when one or both of us are wrong!

In my daughter's classroom, the teacher instigated what they refer to as The Catastrophe Scale. They presented it to the children as a way for them to self-regulate their emotional responses to things. I nearly laughed out loud when I heard about it. Basically the idea is to take the thing you're worried about, and see where is lies on The Catastrophe Scale. The exact words they used with the children were "If you left your hat at home and had to play in the shade, where would that be on The Catastrophe Scale? Now, what about if your HOUSE BURNED DOWN (emphasis mine!) and all your clothes and toys were burned up? Where would that lie on the Scale?" Yes. You can see what I mean.

But apparently the kids took to that concept really well, with no major psychological scarring or nightmares about toys exploding into fireballs. Well done Mrs P!

When you think about it, as dramatic as The Catastrophe Scale sounds to a 5 year old, the idea of it is probably really useful. Where did yesterday's 'discussion' lie on the Scale?

Certainly nowhere near the house burning down!

Hubs is at work today, but tonight I'm fixing a nice meal, maybe even with a cooked dessert (we don't 'do dessert' very often) and I might even send the kids to bed early (*wink*)

Because the biggest catastrophe of all would be not having him around to 'discuss' with :)

Cheers,
Lizzie

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails