Saturday, October 20, 2007

Where's A Brick Wall When You Need It?

Country Patch Collections)

Ever have one of those days when all you want to do is crawl back under the covers and sleep until you can wake up in a better mood? Yep, that's me today.

I want to do about, oh, twelve thousand things today - housework, general 'stuff' - but I feel completely horrid. Yesterday I jumped on the bus and completed several errands but in amongst all that walking around, I somehow managed to put my knee out. All yesterday afternoon and evening I lay crippled on the couch. It's not fun. Thank GOD for freezer meals! I do feel a little better this morning; the knee isn't so stiff. But as a nice little bonus I woke with a headache, and I have no OTC pain medication in the house (this was also a whole lot of fun last night with my knee, groan). I'm just feeling horrible all round.

I know my bad attitude will pass. Generally, half an hour of a decluttering spurt and I'm at least moving in the right direction. But it's hard to summon up the enthusiasm for that this morning between the headache and the knee :( I'm thinking of sending Hubs out for pain meds. On the subject, does anyone know of a medication-free way of dealing with headaches? They've plagued me since puberty and gradually got worse after having the kids (messed up hormones, obviously). True migraines are (mercifully) rare, maybe three or four time a year (you know the type - nausea, must stay in pitch black room, cannot-breathe-because-upward-motion-of-the-chest-moves-the-head-which-in-turn-throbs-like-crazy-making-you-want-to-stab-yourself-in-the-eye-with-a-rusty-fork kind of thing) but the regular ol' run-of-the-mill headaches are a very frequent occurrence for me. I don't like taking a pill for a headache but if it's a choice between writhing around in a dark bedroom or doing the usual motherly/housewifey tasks like, I don't know, feeding everyone, well there's not that much choice. Things need to get done, regardless of whether Mama is feeling bad or not. But I'd love to hear suggestions on headache management strategies. I shall name my next newborn after you.

Plans for the rest of the day (after trying not to self-lobotomize or self-amputate) include pottering about in the garden, ducking off down to the supermarket for chicken, and working on an e-book I'm writing about low-cost meals. In that same vein, I'm going off the radar, menu-wise, for the next few weeks as I re-road test a lot of famously low-cost recipes with the view to including them. At last count I had 70+ recipes on my list! LOL. The e-book will be available for purchase (for $4.95 AUD/around $4.50 USD) sometime in November, and will include budget tips and other tidbits. There'll be more information coming about that soon.

The crockpot beckons,

Cheers,
Lizzie

4 comments:

WendyC said...

For headaches, try drinking lots of water. Also Tigerbalm sometimes helps. You could also try a chiropractor. It could be your neck. My headaches are far fewer now my neck is much better. Had your eyes tested lately? Some ideas...

Harriet Archer said...

I'll just agree with what Wendy said - also consider a massage. According to the physio I go to - your body is like a line of dominos and neck pain can actually be referred pain from somewhere else. I know my headaches DEcreased after a few trips to the physio to fix my very painfully sore HIPS (now go figure *that* connection out, lol)

Jodi

Jthemilker said...

Oh you poor thing. Nothing like a good headache to fuss up a day. When I get them I sometimes lie down with an ice pack on my head - usually under my neck. Although I'm also aware that there are some trigger point therapies that also work; however not exactly sure on the specifics. I worked for a chiropractor in the past and they could cure a headache in an instant. They were good with trigger points, adjustments, etc. All good stuff.

Lizzie said...

Wendy -

I just got my eyes tested a few months back and it was all clear, except for some very minor astigmatism (sp?) in one eye. I'd gone to check them out in reference to the headaches but the optomitrist said it was a long shot that it was that.

I should go to a chiro. At my last doctor's checkup she suggested I go and see one and I never did. I guess I'm holding off because I know a chiro isn't a 'one visit' thing, and that it could potentially cost me a fair chunk of change (no private health cover - for the US folk, that's fairly common, the system is totally different down here and we're covered, as all Aussies are, by Medicare anyway). As for the water, honestly today I'm hard pressed to eat at all - bad headaches do that to me with the nausea thing.

I'm about to go for a walk - in 32ºC weather, sigh - for some "self medication" (That would be CHOCOLATE folks, LOL). That's how desperate I am. I strongly suspect the injection of the unique combo of caffeine, cocoa and sugar will stupify my head enough that I can get some work done. I KNOW - it's totally counter productive. But I have to do something, auugh. And chocolate is such a pleasant way to deal with the problem while I wait for a chiro appointment, LOL.

Cheers,
Lizzie

Related Posts with Thumbnails