Monday, October 15, 2007

Menu Plan Monday ~ October 15


Happy Monday everyone!

I'm adding in a new element this week. Yep, again. I like to mix things up, LOL. I'm currently in Week 3 of my Eight Week Menu Plan, but this week I'm also going to toss in Lynn Nelson's 'investment cooking' tier of her Busy Cooks Pyramid. Read on...

Monday ~ Spaghetti Bolognaise (garlic bread, salad)
Tuesday ~ Chicken Stirfry (rice or noodles)
Wednesday ~ Soup & Sandwiches (probably Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup with ham and cheese toasted sandwiches to round it out)
Thursday ~ Hamburgers
(homemade)
Friday ~ Fridge & Freezer Fare
Saturday ~ Mustard, Lemon & Rosemary Chicken (potato salad, coleslaw - carried over from last week)
Sunday ~ Roast Chicken (baked potatoes, vegies, gravy)

Alterations For The Health Conscious

Monday ~ Standard stuff - portion control (very small nibble of pasta, sigh), no garlic bread, plenty of salad)
Tuesday ~ Go easy on the carb-rich sides (double sigh...)
Wednesday ~ The soup itself is fine, but I will probably just have crackers or plain grainy bread to go with it.
Thursday ~ No idea! Daddy is working afternoons all this week - not home for dinner - so this might be a good night for the kids to 'build their own' and I'll have a frozen dinner. It's better than nothing, LOL
Friday ~ Easy to get around - I can just pull together something that fits within my eating guidelines on the night.
Saturday ~ Same as last week - the chicken itself is fine, and I'll make the side dishes with low fat sauce and then portion control it and/or plate up a big green salad.
Sunday ~ Ahhh, a roast chicken dinner is probably my number one comfort food. It's very, very hard for me not to over eat with the potatoes! Will take the skin off the chicken, load up on vegies and not bake so many of the potatoes, LOL.

Okay, this is where the Busy Cooks Pyramid comes in. It's been a while, but I'm going to incorporate a 'dinner cooking session' into my weekend baking, a la Lynn's first tier. This week already has a little inbuilt bonus (which will be good, because it will help me build up my freezer stock more quickly). Wednesday's soup will easily stretch to three meals (large crockpot full) so we'll eat that on the night and then freeze the rest with absolutely zero additional effort. And on Saturday or Sunday I'll bake a triple batch of lasagna (for us, that's one large and one medium pan), put one meal in the fridge in prep for the following Monday and freeze the other two meals. Hubs will be thrilled. That man was raised on his mother's lasagna :P

Baking This Week

Gosh. We're back to school this week after a 2 week break and I am determined not to spend anywhere NEAR what I spent on Treats & Snackfood in October as I did in September. It was a truly horrendous figure! I'm going to try to keep on top of my baking and try to follow a couple of new recipes as time permits. So, at some point over next weekend I'll have a go at these as well:

Banana Muffins
Traditional Shortbread (Hubs will be in hog heaven!)
Apple Streusel Cake

Last Saturday we went to a schoolfriend's birthday picnic in the park and were asked to bring a plate of food to share. I knew all week that I had to whip something up but totally forgot until about 11pm on Friday night - eek! I grabbed for my standby 'looks and tastes special but involves very little effort' Fudge Brownie recipe and then realised we were out of eggs. So I thought on the fly and remembered I hadn't made my Chewy Gingerbread Cookies for a while. I had just enough ground ginger so I quickly mixed the recipe and popped it in the fridge. I got up early the next day and baked and cooled about 40 cookies, and then found a couple of icing sachets, chocolate and plain white, leftover from a boxed cake mix (if I bake a cake that will end up in the kids' lunchboxes, I don't ice them...too many sticky fingers all over clean school books, LOL). I mixed those up in separate bowls and then added them to two mini ziplock bags, snipping off a corner on each to make mini piping bags. I drizzled the whole batch with white and chocolate icing and the end result, after several 'gulp!' moments and an unnecessarily-early morning, was a batch of cookies that looked like those itty bitty expensive things you get at coffee shop counters. Not bad for a handful of pantry ingredients!

I also want to scour the thrift stores in my area on Friday, when I'm out doing my errands, for a glass jar or pretty tin to use as a displayable cookie jar. I have any number of basic Tupperware whatsits but I'm hoping I can find something a bit more pretty to go with my nice new canisters on the countertop :)

I also need an apron!

Cheers,
Lizzie

4 comments:

Annie said...

Happy Monday!
Sounds yummy!
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·’ * Annie *

And Miles To Go... said...

what a delicious meal plan this week--delicious!

Jthemilker said...

Baked chicken sounds so good right now (and it's even breakfast time here now). I've been under the weather and am home from work today. Perhaps I will pop a chicken in the crockpot for dinner. What a grand idea. Thank you.

Weightloss Diet Watch said...

Hi there,

Interesting menu for the week....

I am new here came across from http://www.talesfromthescales.net blog roll wanna say hi ....

Food is the essential thing in everyone’s life. Some Foods will make us fit and some foods will make us fat. Diet Information will help us to know which food is good for our health.

Related Posts with Thumbnails