Monday, October 8, 2007

Menu Plan Monday ~ October 8


Okay folks, second week of the Super-Dooper Eight Week Menu Plan:

Monday ~ Ravioli (rolls, salad)
Tuesday ~ Chicken Kiev
(potato bake, vegies)
Wednesday ~ Fish & Chips
(salad)
Thursday ~ Tacos / Soft Tacos (I usually put out both hard shells and tortillas and everyone chooses)
Friday ~ Fridge & Freezer Fare
(standard 'fend for yourself' night)
Saturday ~ Mustard, Lemon & Rosemary Chicken
(potato salad, coleslaw)
Sunday ~ Homemade Pizza


Alterations To Family Meal For Health-Concious Mama ~

Monday ~ I'll have a low-carb frozen meal or something else I can whip up.
Tuesday ~ I love my Kiev (sigh) but I'll have a baked chicken breast with some form of sauce (suggestions welcome!), small microwaved potato, and loads of vegies.
Wednesday ~ I have some low-fat (ie, not crumbed or battered) frozen fish on hand and will limit myself to just a few chips and plenty of salad.
Thursday ~ I'm going to investigate low-carb tortillas when I do the grocery shopping (haven't bought them before). If the calorie/fibre content is roughly the same as regular bread, I can sub in one of my bread serves for the day for this and have a regular soft taco, plus some extra salad. If I can't find something suitable, I'll have taco salad.
Friday ~ Omelette, eggs, um...mini stirfry-for-one? Will work it out when I get to Friday!
Saturday ~ The chicken itself is fine (I almost always use chicken breasts exclusively anyway), I'll make coleslaw using low fat dressing and might have a small microwaved potato with a little low fat potato salad dressing drizzled on the top.
Sunday ~ Um...low fat toppings, reduced fat cheese etc on a wholemeal pita bread as the pizza base?

Lizzie's Lunches ~

Monday ~ Chicken Salad Sandwich
Tuesday ~ Light Vegetable Soup (making up a batch)
Wednesday ~ Salad with hard boiled eggs
Thursday ~ Light Vegetable Soup
Friday ~ Chicken Salad Sandwich
Saturday ~ Salad with hard boiled eggs
Sunday ~ Chicken Salad Sandwich

(I'm fairly boring when it comes to my lunches - I tend to work on autopilot so three choices a week is plenty for me)

Baking This Week (probably not until next weekend) ~

More Sugar Cookies, LOL. The first few times I made Scattered Mom's recipe I omitted the sour cream because I didn't have any on hand. This last week I finally made them with the sour cream and you're right, the sour cream does 'cut' the sweetness and adds another dimension to the flavour. Hubs' ate probably a trayful worth of dough before I could even get them to the oven :P

The Coconut Cake I never got around to doing last week. I'll freeze most of this in single serve slices for the kids' school lunches - they go back (after 2 weeks break) next Monday.

Quick & Easy Garlic Bread Sticks (courtesy of Hillbilly Housewife) or possibly make up my own parmesan twists recipe - again, to put away for the kids' lunchboxes. I try to have a crackery-type thing in there each day.

Happy Menu Plan Monday everyone! For more participants, swing by I'm An Organizing Junkie :)

Cheers,
Lizzie

13 comments:

Natalie said...

Mmmmmm! I like your idea of fend for yourself night. I might have to try that when the kids get older.

Kacie said...

A suggestion for your baked chicken breast: Can you have tomato sauce? Maybe a nice marinara sauce would give you some great flavor. Plus, tomato sauce is sooo good for you, tons of veggies densely packed!

Or, maybe some herbs? You could try thyme with lemon juice, perhaps. Or do a lemon pepper.

Lizzie said...

Good ideas Kacie :) Marinara sauce always a good idea but I already hafe a lemony/mustardy type chicken recipe on Saturday so I'll probably pass on that one :) I make a really simple Parmigiana recipe (not this week though) which is basically pan fried chicken (ie, precooked whole breasts) layered in a casserole dish with jar of spaghetti sauce, maybe some sliced ham, and a handful of cheese. It actually comes out quite good :)

On the 'sauce' subject...does anyone have any good 'single serve' salad dressing or vegie dressing recipes? Oftentimes I'm put off of large serves of vegies at dinner by the idea of having to eat them 'plain'. Just about the only sauce I use consistently on cooked vegies is bechamel and I have to steer clear of the creamy sauces for a while, LOL.

Cheers,
Lizzie

Robin said...

I like the way you post your lighter versions. Good job.

Have a good week.

And Miles To Go... said...

what a well thought out meal plan this week--I love everything you chose.

Nicole said...

Great menu plan! If you buy whole wheat tortillas with no cholesterol (I think that's what the pkg says) it should be healthy. They have tons of options for tortillas nowadays. :) Have a great week!

Precious_1 said...

Hi, I make mini pizza's for my kids on cut in half english muffins. Perhaps there are some low fat/wholegrain muffins that you could use for your pizza bottom? If not them why not just have a melt? (your "good" pizza toppings on toast then grilled till the cheese melts)

Good luck this week

Amy said...

mmmm yum, guess we're all coming to your house for dinner? :-)
btw Lizzie I've been lurking here and I've come to know you from the 1peter message board. Mind if I add you to my links?

Kathryn said...

What a great menu - love the lighter versions. Thanks for sharing, and have a wonderful week.

WendyC said...

The best salad dressing is olive oil and balsamic vinegar or lemon juice. 2 or 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar/lemon juice.
Yoghurt mixed with tahini is nice too.

Scattered Mom said...

I didn't know that you didn't add the sour cream in the cookies-I imagine that they tasted a lot different. I loved the sour cream because it added a really nice flavor.

For Halloween treats, you could top them with orange colored sugar...

Jia said...

I just love how organized you are girl. Want to organize my life for me? LOL!

Lizzie said...

Scattered Mom -

I mentioned it to you the first time I made them...LOL. You told me the SC cut the sweetness because I remember the cookies without it were super-sweet to the point of being sickly (which is saying something considering the sweet tooth I have, LOL). The flavour is something else entirely with the SC added. I won't be able to make it any other way now, LOL.

Jia -

Um, if you took a look around my house today, you wouldn't be asking that question!!! LOL. I've just got back from taking the kids to the movies, lunch and shopping (for Crocs of all things...yes, I caved). Already today I've had two doses of headache medication and I had the young teenage girls on the bus in absolute hysterics on the way home when I did that hilarious 'nod off while sitting up' routine where you sort of half lose your balance and almost fall out of your seat. Then you spend the next five minutes blushing beet-red and saying things (loudly, so the teenagers can hear) to your kids like "That's what Daddy did at Christmas one year!", all the while pretending like you meant to put on the half-time show....LOL....

Cheers,
Lizzie

Related Posts with Thumbnails