Friday, January 30, 2009

Who Gets A Chest Cold In The Middle Of A Heat Wave?

Okay, so on top of the heat, I've developed a funny chesty kind of niggle, the kind you get the day before realising you've caught a cold.

A cold. Are you kidding me?

The rest of my city (and much of south-eastern Australia in general, including Melbourne) is melting into oblivion, and I catch a cold. Is my middle name Murphy, or what?

Heard from the 'school mums' this morning that half of my suburb is currently without power, and have been since last night. My state's power company has been on the news in the last couple of days saying they would be doing 'rolling blackouts' (ie, on purpose switching off of certain suburbs for an hour or two at a time) to help ease the strain on the power grid. Folks are burning holes in their pockets you see, with all the airconditioner usage. I don't even want to know what our next bill will be. No, strike that - I DON'T CARE. But this blackout doesn't sound like a rolling stoppage, it sounds like a broken something-or-other (there have been lots of stories of blown transformer thingys in the news this past week) which means the other half (ie, us) of the suburb could be in danger of losing power today too. The school is also in this half. If we lose power, I'll call the school and ask if they've got power and if not, I'll pick up the kids. I have the state's power company's 'current power outtages' webpage up to keep tabs on the situation. There are a LOT of outtages all over the city today. Poor dears. And don't even think of going anywhere on public transport - tram and train lines are buckling (causing massive, massive commuter problems) and buses are sardine-packed with sweaty people.

I've also not been eating very much. Never do when its terribly hot. No energy to prepare real food so what I do eat is snack-type foods and this is obviously not a good situation so today's goal - pretty much the only one - is to eat a proper sandwich. Lofty, isn't it? And it's not like I can't afford to lose a few pounds, but I'd really rather hoped it didn't involve fifteen hours a day of sauna-like conditions!

AND - the icing on the cake - I woke with a cracker headache this morning. You know, just to remind me to be humble, LOL.

It's already around 37ºC (a smidge under 100ºF) and it's only 10am. I am completely obsessed with refreshing the 'past 24 hours' weather page for my city - they update every half hour and with each point of a degree rise I want to curl up and cry my guts out.

I WANT SNOW!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

its all the going from hot to cold. intense heat outside to reasonable temperatures inside can do wacky things to your immune system. my dad used to keep the AC at his office set to 17 in the middle of summer, i was CONSTANTLY sick from the hot-cold-hot-cold.

either that or youre just incredibly unlucky :D

Lizzie said...

Well I don't normally get sick very often so I have to examine the variables and the only thing I can come up with is, we've run the aircon virtually non stop for three days now, which would totally fit with your theory :)

DH says airconditioning affects him quite a bit like this - I have a wacky thermostat anyway so quite enjoy feeling 'cold' when the aircon is on in the car (after blustery heat outside...ahhhhh) but he often complains the aircon gives him a headache. He also theorised today that my 'chesty thing' could be because I'm dehydrated. Don't know if I'd go that far, I've been drinking buckets and buckets of water, but interesting...

42ºC at the moment (1:30ish pm). Sigh.

Related Posts with Thumbnails