Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I Know There Are Probably People Lost In The Sahara Right Now Who Might Disagree With Me, But...

Blech.

Today was HOT. And I should really stress that it wasn't just 'very warm' - it was BY GOLLY THAT METAL PARK BENCH JUST SEARED A GRID ACROSS MY TUSHIE kind of hot. Today my city reached FORTY-THREE-POINT-TWO degrees celcius. To put it into perspective for my overseas friends, that's almost 110ºF, or the hottest day the city has seen in over five years.

Forgive me while I go shower for the third time today.

I am not a fan of hot weather. I could never live in central Australia or anything labelled 'up north', which basically amounts to any town more than two hours directly 'up' from where we are now on a map, which trust me, is near enough to being coastal. Heat seems to seep into my bones and cause me to become a blithering, blubbering mess-o'-couch-potato. I would clearly not do very well in Qatar. After last March's record-breaking fifteen day heat wave (seriously, the kids even got state government issued certificates to commemorate surviving it!) I began formulating fantasy plans to move to Canada. Scattered Mom at Notes From The Cookie Jar and Laura from Org Junkie were putting us up until we could get our snow shoes and dog sled team organized. And then the heat wave broke and I think I cried. Tears of the fiercest and purest joy.

But today? Took me right back to March. Auugh.

The forecast is for much of the same for the rest of the week - temps around 40ºC or 104ºF on the old scale. Nobody can get anything done because we're all too sapped of energy to care. The kids - oh, the poor dears - had to endure their first day back at school today in sweltering heat. They were only allowed out for half of the lunchtime play period - and as for the rest of the time, well, thank God for classroom air-conditioners :)

Apart from that, the return to school for another year went well for all of the Piglets. Boof has a male teacher for the first time ever but already likes him - Mr C has promised to teach the kids how to build a web page which, to a techno-science geek like Boof, is akin to a second Christmas. Moo and her very best friend are in separate classrooms this year after three years together (inc kindergarten). Thankfully she has other good friends in her class and her special friend's classroom is a stone's throw away so they have already promised to meet each other in the yard each playtime :) And J, as usual, had little to say specifically about how his first day went but remains happy in the same special small class (mainstream school) and with the same teacher and support staff.

The school paperwork that came home this first day though...wooo-heee. It took me a solid hour to fill out the forms and read all the notices!

9 comments:

june cleaver said...

It is 14*F here... that is -10*C

Wanna trade?

Lizzie said...

YEEEEEESSSSS!

The forecast is for 111ºF today. I would trade you in a heartbeat AND pay you for the privilege, LOL.

Sarah said...

the weather has been all kinds of wacky recently. it SNOWED IN NOVEMBER here in nsw. and fire season only started this year instead of september/october like it usually does.

i am so glad im not down there in the heatwave. its not even 24 yet today here and im already hot enough to have the AC on. the baby is doing ridiculous things to my heat regulating abilities.

Lizzie said...

Sarah, we are no longer friends. I mean, what kind of torturous person would wave a twenty-four degree day in my face when - and I kid you not - at 2:30 today it got to 44.9 in Adelaide? In approx 15 minutes from now, about 3:10, I have to leave the house to go and pick up the kids...a 5 minute walk. I will be sweating by the time I get there and drowned in it by the time I get home. I doubt very much the mercury will dip, oh, twenty-odd degrees in fifteen - no, ten now - minutes, sigh.

Sarah said...

yes but 24 feels like about 56 to me.

its up to 30ish now. the soles of my feet are sweating and im sitting directly under the AC. i cant believe my mother went through this in darwin with only ceiling fans.

Lizzie said...

Here's irony for you...the hottest time of the day was at 3:30, AS WE WERE WALKING HOME, and it peaked at 45.1ºC!!!! (113.18ºF).

I have a headache. Makes last March's heatwave seem like CHICKEN FEED.

River said...

I'm sitting here in front of my portable water cooler thingy (finally got a new filter for it), with the setting on 2 and I've just wet my t-shirt for the third time. Makes a fair bit of difference to be wearing a wet shirt.

Scattered Mom said...

LOLOL somehow I missed this post. :) You would've needed a dog sled yesterday, as we had a SNOW day.

Which I totally unusual for BC's coast because it's MARCH, but whatever. We had a day off. I'm not really complaining.

43 would be nice-in Utah. Here it's too humid and I'd want to curl up in a little ball and whimper.

Hope things have gotten cooler for ya!

Lizzie said...

Scattered - as you might have read in later posts, the heatwave finally broke more than a week after this post. But I still managed to get pneumonia, which just goes to prove the saying "keep your mouth shut, it CAN actually get worse" (okay, not a saying, I made it up, but totally true, LOL)

Related Posts with Thumbnails