Sunday, January 4, 2009

Quick Question ~ Net Weight Of Meats After Cooking?

My brain isn’t working terribly well today, so for the life of me I can’t work out the answer to this problem, LOL.

Is there a general rule of thumb for determining how much moisture loss occurs after cooking a piece of meat or poultry? We’re talking plain grilling of meats, not cooking it up in a recipe (where it could absorb more weight from the cooking juices). I read somewhere that meat loses up to a third of its original raw weight (depending, of course, on whether the meat is rare or well done) and poultry and fish somewhere around 10-15% but I can’t find confirmation of that online.

I’m running myself up a food servings checklist and have all the raw weights/serving sizes down pat (150g for meat/poultry, 180g for white fish, in case you were wondering!) but I’m curious how it relates when ordering out (and I also know about the ‘deck of cards’ rule for cooked meat but you know, I’m a tad obsessive so I want to know the figures for myself!)

Much appreciated interwebs!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails