Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The One Where Lizzie Could Fry An Egg On The Footpath. Or, You Know, Her Forehead

Wretched, wretched heat!

We knew we were in for a scorcher here in my city today. At a projected 44ºC (111ºF) the day was looking grim from the get-go. It was already into the forties by 10:00. That's okay, I told myself foolishly. I can handle this.

Talented Hubby (who really should be grateful he's not working this week) and I did absolutely diddly-squat all day long. After seeing the kids off to school, our day involved napping on the couch (me) and the Playstation (him). It was just too hot to bother with anything else.

And yet, the mercury kept climbing.

Out of morbid fascination I bookmarked my city's official weather page and hit refresh every time I passed the laptop so I could keep tabs on the current conditions. At 2:30 we were at 44.9ºC (almost 113ºF). Yesterday's maximum of 43.2ºC (almost 110ºF) was the hottest day in five years - and we'd already passed that figure hours ago.

And every time I hit refresh, the numbers were rising.

I had to leave the house at 3:15 to pick up the kids from school. We live a mere five minutes' walk away but I was a puddle before I'd walked four steps beyond our driveway. By the time we got home, the kids were basically hyperventilating and I was a MESS. There is no delicate way to say this - I was dripping sweat from every crevice on my body. And trust me, I have a lot of crevices!

Later in the afternoon I checked the weather website again - 45.1ºC (over 113ºF). At the EXACT time we were walking home. No wonder I was sweaty! Oh dear God, it was brutal. We thought we'd reached the peak of the day then...but no, the 6 o'clock news later had the maximum for today recorded at 45.7ºC (114ºF plus). At 6:30 it was still 44ºC (111ºF). Yeowch!

I want to kick and scream and throw a tantrum like a little kid. My head hurts too much though. Boof told me on the way home from school this afternoon - you know, when we were in the midst of heat stroke - that anything over 44.4ºC (about 112ºF) would have broken a SEVENTY year record in our city for the hottest day. Methinks 45.7ºC qualifies!

And you know what the BEST part of this is? It's going to be 44ºC again tomorrow. And the day after. And maybe even Saturday. Then the 'cool change' comes in, with temps around 37-38ºC (100ºF) for another three or four days. *SOB*.

June, your comment on yesterday's post? The one where you casually threw out that your temperature was MINUS TEN FREAKIN' DEGREES CELSIUS? I think I hate you.

I'm just sayin'.

I'm going to go cry now.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

i thought there was some sort of rule about school not happening if the temperature was too high? or is that one of those rumours that kids throw around to make themselves feel better?

Lizzie said...

Uh, yes, LOL. When I went to school there was that rule but then we had unreliable aircons in the classrooms too. Inside the kids' classrooms are actually bearable (although Moo's teacher did say yesterday it was over 30 even with the aircon going full-on) - it's just the getting to and from school, and recess/lunch etc that is awful. At the moment they aren't letting them out of the classroom at all at recess (20mins) and are only letting them spend half of lunch out there (there's a school rule of 'no hat, no outside play'). Personally I think that's fine at 40º but at 45º they should all be inside for the entire lunch play period. I'm putting sunscreen on them in the mornings but I can't be there to reapply and it wears off before they go outside at recess anyway - and realistically teachers really can't be responsible for reapplying for 30 kids (Boof's class would probably be fine doing it on their own, but not Moo's).

I'm trying to decide if I want to head to the shops with DH today and risk the crowds trying to escape the heat or staying at home and being bored/frustrated out of my skull....

Auugh.

june cleaver said...

well, look at the bright side... at least you are tan?

I am pasty white pale from the winter months in Nebraska.

I look like a vampire.

0*C today with snow flurries.

Lizzie said...

STOP IT! LOL.

I am tan actually. In a delightful 'vee' shape at the neck and from mid-arm down. Looks "awesome" when I'm nekkid :P

Sarah said...

oooooooooooooh farmers tan. hubby gets that. although his is lopsided at the moment. we discovered his singlet had been on crooked after a couple hours of gardening. he looks hilarious.

i do not tan. even in this kind of weather. i burn, and then im just as white underneath when it peels off.

Sarah said...

and at least you had AC in the classrooms. every school ive been to only had ceiling fans. not very effective.

River said...

You know it's freakishly hot when a temperature as high as 38 is a "cool change"...

Related Posts with Thumbnails