Monday, January 26, 2009

What Kind Of A Self-Respecting Aussie Eats a Hotdog On Australia Day?

Okay. So it's the last day of the six week Christmas/summer school holidays. Actually, we were meant to return to school today but it's Australia Day (think Fourth of July but with far less hotdogs - although, ironically, this is what's on the menu for us tonight, LOL - and movies about aliens starring Will Smith) so we're off until tomorrow. BTW, Happy (two hundred and) twenty-FIRST birthday, Australia!

When we walk in the doors tomorrow it will be a brand new school year. Master J is going into Grade 5, Boof to Grade 4 and Moo to Grade 2. The first week is always chaotic. There are more notes home in that week than in a whole month during the rest of the year and the annual struggle with covering the kids' notebooks with contact paper must be attempted and triumphed over. We've got new shoes, new haircuts (Moo has gone quite short!) and I'll be baking up a storm today for the lunchbox fodder.

The kids are another week closer to their puppy. After an initial mix up, we'll be picking up a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel pup from the airport around the second week of March, making it about three weeks old now. We're slowly getting ready for the new addition and the kids are getting anxious. Moo has resorted to hooking the puppy lead onto the little stuffed dog Happy Meal (Hotel For Dogs) toy and dragging that around. We're watching Underdog and the Beethoven movies until we're blue in the face and the kids went completely beserk when we took them to see Bolt in the cinema. You can be sure there'll be lots of pointless (but very cute!) "Charlie" pics and videos up in a few weeks :)

I have a TON of baking to get to, several loads of laundry to finish and Breakfast at Tiffany's to watch for the first time. A rather satisfying day, don't you think?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

speaking of australia day - and we're going to be having bbq'd hamburgers, which is nearly as bad as hotdogs - did you get a commemorative coin at school in '88 for the bicentenary? i was in kindergarten and got one.. dont know where it is now.. but since i was 5.5 at the time, i dont remember if it was just the kindy kids since we were just starting school, or if all the school kids got one.. just made me think, being 221 years now.. i wont get to see the tricentenary.. or if i do, ill be old enough not to notice.

Lizzie said...

Yep, I got the coin - it was still legal tender though so I think at some point I took it to the bank and cashed it in for regular coins! LOL. Or at least that's what I think I did. Maybe that was the other coin pack I know I did get at one point - had a $5 coin, $2 coin and $1 coin (for you Americans, there isn't a $5 coin normally, it's a note) - that might have come from a family friend as a gift though. I know *that* didn't last more than a couple of years. Hard to hold onto $8 for very long when you're 9 and don't get pocket money! I probably spent it on Kool Fruits!

Thia said...

Let us know what you think of "Breakfast." I love it.

Lizzie said...

I will Thia :) There will be lots of lolling around today, with temps at 41ºC (like a million ºF, LOL). Didn't think I was going to fit movies in today before they're due back tonight...but with today's heat...heaps of time, LOL.

River said...

I remember my kids all got the coins. I think I still have them somewhere.

Related Posts with Thumbnails