Sunday, April 5, 2009

I Knew There Was A Reason We Eat So Much Spaghetti

Okay, since I'm now fully mostly recovered from the ordeal, I have a bit of a story to tell.

It starts with the dog; even though Charlie's role is small, I'm still totally blaming him. You see, he refuses to use his doggy door in the laundry room, which is up the other end of the house. So most of the time we have been leaving the back sliding door slightly open so he can come and go for toileting and general havoc-wreaking. This is important to remember - door's open. Got it?

So Talented Hubby and I, like many married technogeeks I guess, were last night surfing from our opposite sides of the room - he at the desk next to the back door, and me and the dining table. All of a sudden TH starts freaking out and pointing underneath the couch.

Folks, the grand-daddy of all spiders had just hopped into the room from the backyard.

Now, though between us we're totally useless when it comes to disposing of spiders, we have done it in the past. We usually use my stash of nice jars, cleaned from their previous use of holding spaghetti sauce (Aussies: Five Brothers brand makes the cutest jars!). I had grand plans of one day turning them into pantry storage but they seem to do just fine in their alternate role of gas chamber too, so you know, making lemonade out of lemons. Normally the process goes something like this:
  • run screaming to the cupboard to get a jar.
  • tiptoe back to the 'hot zone' like the floor is a lake of lava. If the spider happens to move at any point, we're toast.
  • gingerly move whatever obstructions are in the way, sweating bullets during the process.
  • inch closer to the spider; begin to whimper.
  • like swallowing cough syrup, finally grow the kahunas to 'just do it' and slam down the open jar over the spider.
  • freak out because now the spider is seriously agitated and thrashing up against the side of the glass. If he gets out, you just know he's gonna hunt you down and bite your eyeball or something.
  • stare at the jar for twenty minutes wondering exactly how to work the next manoeuvre because it makes or breaks the whole plan.
  • finally grab the jar lid and in one 'can't-think-about-the-stupidity-of-this' sweep, slide it under the mouth of the jar to enclose the spider. Screw it on.
  • call the kids over (they've been instructed to go to their rooms and barricade the doors) to make fun of the trapped spider. Pretend we know what kind it is. It's always something Amazonian (never mind this is Australia!) and life-threatening.
  • take the offending spider outside, along with a can of bug spray.
  • gently unscrew the lid, spray about a quarter can of the spray inside the jar and slam the lid back down - all done in 1.4 seconds.
  • wait for the spider to die
  • throw the jar in the trash
Okay, so that's how it normally works out. It did not go this way last night.

Talented Hubby was given the jar-handling job. Bear in mind, we're talking a HUGE spider, probably a 6cm diametre including the legs, with a clear 3cm just in the body. He caught it alright, chopping off a few legs under the rim of the jar in the process. Meh.

Unfortunately, he also squished the egg sac.

That's right. Girl spider. More specifically, girl spider with babies.

The spider literally exploded babies all over the family room floor. And those suckers are FAST. I bolted for the kitchen, grabbed the Mortein and pretty much varnished the whole floor with a thick layer of the stuff. We got most of them (we hope the others tell legends about the scary House Monsters - we figure this will either scare them senseless ala "The Village" or create a multi-generational vendetta).

Then we surveyed the damage. Oh. My. Goodness. For a two metre stretch in all directions of ground zero there were millions of tiny black specks and one very big black speck (Mum). Adrenaline wearing off now that they were dead, Talented Hubby and I both started hyperventilating. Every few seconds we looked at each other in horror and got the shivers, both convinced we had baby spiders crawling into our ears or nose at every second.

What makes it harder to swallow is that this is the second time we've had an Exploding Spider Situation (ESS) in the last three weeks.

*SHUDDER*

In a sick way, and to borrow paraphrased words from a favourite childhood book/movie, "I guess it is a rather romantic way to die...for a spider." Laying your life on the line for your offspring? Being biologically engineered to vomit millions of babies at the moment of your demise? It's nature's little miracle.

Uh....sure. Whatever helps you sleep at night!

9 comments:

River said...

Multi-generational vendetta. Hee-Hee. Yup, you're in for it now........

Sarah said...

was it a huntsman? we dont get many spiders here thankfully... which is actually rather surprising considering theres a giant hole in the back door where the cat ripped the dog-flap off its hinges..

my man is arachnophobic, so its usually up to me to catch the spiders and take them outside.. i try not to kill them, just let them go outside where theyll eat the wasps.

Lizzie (admin) said...

I haven't a clue what it was...except 'amazonian and deadly', LOL. No, spiders generally fall into two categories for me - Daddy Long Legs (and therefore squishable) and Everything Else (and therefore jar territory).

It was HUGE though.

Thia said...

Some of your readers are extremely sensative to the eight legged creatures (evil things from hell) and would appreciate warnings. I have images burned into my brain that make me want to get a spoon and start scraping them out.

katrina said...

Been there done that - nearlly moved out cause couldn't convince myself I'd napalmed all of the little escapees

Lizzie (admin) said...

Thia, I'm so sorry! LOL.

If it's any consolation, the same image is burned onto my retinas also! And TH, the 'manly man' that his is, flat out refused to leave the back door open for Charlie today and is taking him through a speed course on How To Use The Doggy Door, LOL.

Mrs Jelly said...

Oh-my-freaking-god!
And there you have, in one post, the reason Mr Jelly and me will NEVER make it to Australia.
I have been known to summon my Father-In-Law to rescue me from a spider in my bedroom at 11pm at night because Mr Jelly was at work.
I can't possibly be expected to sleep in the same room as a black hairy wiggly thing - or a spider for that matter!

Sarah said...

i seem to be in the minority here.. i mean, sure, theyre gross, and i'm sure i'd scream if a spider exploded into millions of babies in front of me, but unless its a redback or something equally dangerous (which thankfully i havent encountered), i just shoo them outside. and then wash my hands a hundred times.

now crickets on the other hand...

Lizzie (admin) said...

Jelly - LOL. It wasn't so much the size I objected to as the spawn that flew out of its belly. If it was a male (or TH was a better aim!!!) I would feel quite ambivalent today :P

Sarah - Right, that settles it. You are moving to my suburb...I'll call you next time one of them jump in the back door, LOL.

Related Posts with Thumbnails