Saturday, December 29, 2007

I'm Totally Making Coleslaw This Weekend

I was one very lucky gal this Christmas. And my MIL totally upstaged my husband, who, God love him, refuses to hold Christmas in as high of a regard as I do.

When I made my Mock Christmas List a few weeks back I did so more as a joke than to be serious. Hubs tends to approach any gift-giving occasion semi-oblivious to hints and after ten or eleven years of having him skip over my none-too-subtle prods, we've settled into an easy and predictable pattern. He asks me what I want, I make a list, and then he ignores the list. It's a fun little game we like to play (*rolls eyes*, LOL).

So with that in mind, I purposely exaggerated my list. I wrote down things like a big screen TV, new (expensive) perfume and a hard-disk DVD player/recorder to fulfil the joke component, as well as reasonable items such as Amazon spending money and candles, just in case this was the year he was going to surprise me by paying attention :P Scattered amongst these things were also ideas I knew he'd never buy for me in a pink fit, including the DVD Anne of Green Gables trilogy (when I mention my love of All Things Anne his eyes roll so fast and so severely they come close to dropping out of his head, LOL). So, I had all my bases covered, really.

But I wasn't at all surprised (or upset, I should point out) to discover Hubs had forgone the shopping for me this year. In all fairness, we are looking to upgrade our TV in the short to medium term and that will bite a big chunk out of our already-yuletide-depleted wallet. I did, however, make one concession. I bought myself a spoon and told Hubs it was his present to me.
Yes, that's right. A spoon. Clearly, it doesn't take much to keep this mama happy!

I have been on a quest to find the perfect mixing spoon for what seems like a million years. This is where one of my little idiosyncrasies pops up that I must tell you about in order to make sense of the spoon-buying saga. Most people use wooden spoons while they're baking, right? Well I can't stand the feel of the wood on my hands. In actual fact, I'm pretty particular about my hands in general - I can't stand the feel of dry skin on them, and I use lotion several times a day to combat this. Using a wooden spoon feels like I'm rubbing them all over with fine grade sandpaper. Hubs and nearly every other person I dare mention this to either look at me like I have two heads or they laugh outright! And do you know how hard it is to find a NON-wooden spoon sturdy enough to cream butter and sugar together? They're virtually non-existent! I thought I had it in the bag when I discovered wooden spoons with rubber grips, but alas, when I'm mixing up huge quadruple batches of cookies in my super-dooper mixing bowl, even those weeny offerings don't help much. I finally found the above spoon on Christmas Eve, doing last minute shopping in my inlaws' town, and I paid $10 for the privilege. As a Christmas present, Hubs got off lightly (LOL) but as a spoon, it's horrendously expensive. It had better work!

And then. And then folks...

I was handed a very large gift on Christmas morning, from the inlaws. I was that dumbfounded at the size I actually expressed concern over it being for me. It's not that I didn't expect something from the inlaws, but I'm used to smaller (but equally thoughtful) gifts and this was one of the biggest boxes there. Imagine my delight when I found this inside:
This was one of the 'higher-end' gifts I put on my list, the ones that were supposed to be mock ideas! How spoilt am I? I've wanted a food processor for ages, but it's always been one of those things that were just beyond my reach - it didn't seem worth the $100+ to purchase one when we'd gotten away with using a knife and a stab blender for gosh-knows how many years beforehand. I actually had a sudden urge to go home and make coleslaw, just so I could test the cutting blades. I know - sad.

But what do you expect from a gal who is perfectly happy getting a spoon for Christmas? LOL.

Cheers,
Lizzie

8 comments:

Kristen's Raw said...

That looks like an amazing gift. Yay In-laws :)

I really enjoyed reading your story and I'm eager to navigate your blog to read more.

Cheers!

Kristen's Raw

Scattered Mom said...

Oh wow! That is one cool food processor. Way to go, inlaws!

Hey Liz, can you get the Anne trilogy in Australia? Because I saw it online at a store here in Canada for $30 Canadian.

E-mail me at notesfromthecookiejar(at)yahoo(dot)ca.

I love Anne too. :)

Lizzie said...

I'd expect nothing less from a Canadian Scattered! Don't they make it a part of the curriculum in school? (*tongue in cheek* LOL)

I can get it here, but for some reason, not in a set. Each DVD was around $30-$40 so the whole shebang was going to cost me $100+, a bit beyond my price range.

The reason why I want the set even though I'm probably a tad old now (LOL) is that my mother gave me the VHS copies of the first two movies when I was about 13 and that started my whole love affair off. I watched those tapes until the VCR chewed them to shreds, and always said I'd replace them but never got around to it. Then DVD came out and I continued to say 'later', LOL.

Where did you see it online? Might be worthwhile to figure out shipping and conversion costs...Valentine's and our anniversary is coming up, LOLOL...

Cheers,
Lizzie

Scattered Mom said...

Lizzie, I'm sorry-it was just the first one for $30. However I did poke around and find THIS place:

The Sullivan Boutique
(http://www.sullivanboutique.com/Anne/stores/1/index.aspx) has it for $59.00 USD, and it looks like they ship to Australia. Plus there is a whole pile of Anne related stuff there. Tons! It's Anne heaven!

I didn't discover Anne until I was in grade 7, and then I became an Anne-fan for a very long time.

The shipping could be pricey, but it's worth a look....
..and I'll keep my eye open for one on sale around here. You never know. :P

Scattered Mom said...

Hey I didn't realize it until just now...the date on my posts freaked me out a little. New Year's Eve? It can't be! I'm not ready!

LOLOL it's New Years Eve over THERE!

Hee hee hee!

Lizzie said...

I know what you mean. I'm just coming down from Christmas. This week, mere days after Christmas, we already have 'back to school' catalogues arriving in our mailbox. Our school year runs from late Jan through to mid-December, and the catalogues/sales don't usually start until the second week in Jan. It's kind of like seeing Christmas trees in September, comparitively, LOL.

Cheers,
Lizzie (P.S. I'm TOTALLY checking out that site btw, LOL)

Lizzie said...

Checked out the site - can't really find a stand-alone section on shipping charges - was hoping to suss that out to guage an idea of total cost. The $US59 would end up being about $AUD67 which is reasonable unless of course the shipping turns out to be $50, LOL.

Cheers,
Lizzie (I droooooooled over the Anne stuff...)

Lizzie said...

OH, and I have to be careful that any DVD I buy from OS can play down here...

Cheers,
Lizzie

Related Posts with Thumbnails