Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas Crafting

Grandma George)

I haven't had the best track record with Christmas crafting in the past. I absolutely love the 'country Christmas' handmade decorations, patterns of which abound at every corner in Bloggityville, but I never seem to have the time to make the various projects. In actual fact, I totally forget about the whole thing until October (right after my birthday is when I start thinking of Christmas) and then panic because Christmas is mere weeks away. And though those 'weeks' have now turned into 'days' for this year, I'm already thinking about next year.

My new Basic Daily Plan includes a section in the afternoons for projects. With no more study commitments when school starts up again in late January, I have a little extra time on my hands. I purposely arranged my day to get the housework out of the way by lunchtime because experience has taught me that I tend to hit a brick wall come 1 or 2 o'clock in the afternoons. And I've really wanted to get back into using my hands (and not my poor, tired, overworked brain!) for my creative outlet for some time now. So I'm going to make an effort to pick up some craft projects during that window of time once the new school year begins in late January, 2008.

Sometime over the Christmas break I'll actually sit down and make myself a crafting 'schedule'. Please don't read too much into that, LOL - it's more a rough guide with perhaps a theme per month - January for ornaments, February for Xmas-themed stuffed decor, March for napkins and other table linen and so on. Yes, most of the time they'll be Christmas themed, LOL. No apologies! I might mix things up every now and then with a non-yuletide endeavour but hey, I love the season and if I don't start in January I'll be having this exact same discussion right here come December 2008, so...best get cracking!

In reality, I may not have the time or energy to deal with too many projects through the year but I think two per month is do-able. For ornaments, perhaps two sets of something. I can always gift the extra come the silly season again. And I only have - oh, I don't know - four thousand ripped-from-magazines and printed-from-internet patterns to try out. I don't think finding enough projects to keep me occupied will be a problem!

Cheers,
Lizzie

2 comments:

Scattered Mom said...

I've learned to start crafts for the holidays and not worry about if they are done on time or not. If I finish them, great. If I don't, they're ready for next year.

Probably the best time to buy the supplies is right after the holidays when it all goes on sale, anyway.

Years ago I used to make all home made ornaments, and now I'm onto crochetting and in the process of making an afghan.

Happy crafting!

Lizzie said...

When I was growing up my mother used to make beaded ornaments - a polystyrene ball, some pearl headed pins, sequins, beads and glue. Some of them were spectacular and I've never re-created them - mostly because the beads you need to create a matching set of, say, 6, would set you back a pretty penny. If I could find a reasonably-priced bulk bead source, I'd totally do this.

My guilty pleasure with the Christmas crafts is felt, LOL. I like handmade felt decorations along the 'country Christmas' theme. Cause, you know, I'm all predictable like that :P

Cheers,
Lizzie

Related Posts with Thumbnails