Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Differences Between the US and Australia # 1

Grandma George)

Just out of curiosity - what are some of the prices you guys are paying for petrol (gas) in the States? Or elsewhere if you want to join in. I'd love to find out.

In my area, we're currently paying an average of $1.40 (AUD) per litre. Sometimes it dips, sometimes it peaks. They're saying it might get as close to $1.50 per litre by Christmas. I remember being with my Dad when he filled up our car as a teenager and seeing 80c per litre - and I'm only 28!

For ease of reference, here's how that $1.40 breaks down in US dollars:

1 gallon = 3.785 litres
1 gallon = $5.30 AUD (at $1.40 AUD per litre)
1 gallon = The equivalent of $4.66 USD once you factor in the exchange rate.

Is this average across the States? If you want to chime in with a figure, try to work it out based on the current average gas price in your area (and tell me the area, LOL) but leave out factors such as price cycling (more expensive on weekends etc), major price spikes or discount fuel vouchers.

Cheers,
Lizzie

3 comments:

Kacie said...

Yikes, I'm sorry to say that you're paying more than we are in the U.S.

I'm in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (in the mid-Atlantic region, sort of near the east coast).

We're paying about $3.15 or so here lately.

stacey said...

I live in central Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth area) and we are between $2.69-$2.80 right now!

Makes you want to stay home no matter where you live!

Lizzie said...

Stacey -

And my husband wonders why I am in no rush to get my driver's licence! (Yes, at age 28, I am sans licence, long story). A licence would mean a second car because his shiftwork is such that him catching public transport even for one shift a week so I could have our current (one) car, fairly impossible. Auuugh.

Cheers,
Lizzie

Related Posts with Thumbnails