Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Snapshot Of My Week


I know all you overseas folk are in love with Australia. I’m kind of partial to it myself, most of the time. But not this week.

We’re melting in my city. Those that know me best in this world can attest to the fact that I can get a little crazy when it’s hot. After a fairly mild summer - a few hot days, but nothing I couldn’t handle - we suddenly find ourselves at the tail end of a 2 ½ week heat wave. This might not be so weird in January, but in March, it’s a bit odd.

A lot of families use the Easter long weekend to go camping down here. Obviously Easter usually falls in April, when the weather has well and truly turned and it’s not uncommon for campers to be battling a little rain. HA! The milder weather is usually one of the reasons folks wait until April to pack up the tent! I can’t think of a more horrid experience than to be stuck in a tent without airconditioning, sweating glowing profusely and actually wishing it would rain for a change.

A hot summer is usually one of those things Australians come to understand and respect - it’s why so many of us live on the coast. But good grief - I don’t think I can handle too much more of this.

I want my winter! I want to be rained on every time I step foot outside of the house! I want the grass to get lush again! Another cruel twist is that much of Australia is on water restrictions due to severe drought. In my area, we’re down to having one three hour period on a Saturday evening to water the garden with a hose (we can water with buckets/watering cans throughout the week, but that gets very old, very quickly when you have anything more than the itty bittiest garden). If you happen to miss that window of opportunity, your garden suffers. As most of us are more concerned with the garden beds than the lawns, whole streets are sacrificing their grass in the vain hope the winter rains will spruce things up again. I really hope that happens with ours, sigh.

The saddest thing about this heat wave? We have at least three more days of 38ºC (100ºF) weather to suffer through! *Sob*

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails