Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sheets...And Other Homey Things


After yesterday's mammoth study effort I took today off, fully intending not to spend much money. This is not exactly how it turned out however...

Two days ago I started a "Mum, I'm Bored!" list in preparation for the school holidays, which begin here on Saturday. At some point on Day Three someone usually pitches a fit so bad I want to transplant myself back in my pre-children life, so this time, I'm coming armed.

As a result of making that list, I came up with a few craft activities that involved a few small purchases - not a problem really, and I gave myself a budget of $50 to see out the holidays. I went to a local 'cheapie shop' (ie, Dollar Store) and had a bit of a browse. I picked up three 'paint your own canvas' sets (complete with acrylic paints and brushes - basically just colouring in on canvas) for $7 ea, three faux 'stained glass' activities for $3 ea and three PVC art aprons for $2 ea (for their 'wipeability', in case the paint was going to be particularly brutal to a cloth apron). $36 total - a bit pricey - but the canvas paintings can be hung afterward - the kids will get a huge kick out of that :)

Later, I happened to be in our equivalent (I guess) of a much-scaled-down Walmart and noticed some table runners on sale. I'd previously earmarked these exact runners about a week ago at $6 ea but put off buying them (aha! a win for the Procrastinator!). Today they were just $2 ea and at that price, I could afford to buy two in different colour combinations. Then on the same table I happened to glance over and catch sight of some sheet sets. We're not in dire circumstances with our linen but a couple of extra sets would go far, so I checked out the price. King sets - fitted sheet, flat sheet, two pillowcases - were only $10. The thread count wasn't fantastic (just 225) but at $10 per set, I couldn't argue, and grabbed a couple. Then I saw the single sheet sets (180 count) and put another two of those in the cart at $10 ea as well. All up, I spent $44 on linen I didn't intend to buy when I woke up this morning BUT the deals were fantastic...about 65% off. I priced the individual single sheets of the same thread count and brand and one sheet would have cost me $11.50 or therabouts, so getting the full set was cheaper. Not that I would have bought individual sheets today, true, but I probably couldn't 'clothe' three out of our four beds (technically the main bed twice) for $40 on any other day. Impulse buy but somewhat justified.

I did put off buying either a $50 or $100 gorgeous floral canvas print when I saw them later in a 'too cute for words' type homewares store. I eyed the same style off a while ago and fell in love with it, but put it off. Now the darn thing is following me around in my thoughts. I have a small cash stash put aside that I could use to buy it, but I'm thinking of asking for it for Mother's Day. I could easily spend two hours in this one store 'decorating' my own home. Absolutely feminine furniture and decor and absolutely the opposite of my husband's taste, LOL.

Cheers,
Lizzie

1 comments:

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Wow, that is a great deal on the king sheets, even for low thread count. King sheets are just insanely expensive.

Thats the thing with saving money, sometimes you have to pick up those types of deals when you see them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails