Friday, April 27, 2007

The Evening Routine


My Evening Routine starts as soon as we finish eating, usually around 7:00. The kids jump in the bath (in shifts!) and while they're occupied I get started. Daddy helps when he's home, but if he's working, they're old enough to be left in the bath by themselves (I check frequently nonetheless).

Lizzie's Evening Routine

* Clear away dinner dishes
* Load and run dishwasher
* Kitchen Patrol
* General tidy
* Quick sweep
* Lay out clothes for tomorrow
* Check school bags
* Pre-make lunches
* Load washing machine
* Cup of tea and Think About Tomorrow

Of all the routines, the Evening Routine is by far the most useful. It cuts my workload during the next morning by at least half, and there's no 'headless chicken' feeling to contend with. This is especially important as I often don't get my first cup of tea and start feeling human until after I see Master J off to the taxi :) If I sleep in, I can go from waking up to pushing a fully fed, dressed and packed up kid out the door in twenty minutes. This is very important!

The aim is to get the Evening Routine done (and the kids' dried off and dressed in jammies) by the kids' bedtime at 8:30. All the really good TV programs come on after 8:30 and it means I can relax and have what I like to call Mum's Down Time for a couple of hours :)

At 10:30 (okay, in an ideal world, LOL) I prep for bed - teeth, shower, etc - and hit the sack by 11:00. Like I said...in an IDEAL world :P

As with all the routines, things chop and change quite a bit along the way. Some days we go off track completely. If, for example, I'm out doing errands, I might skip the Mid-Morning Routine altogether. I'm extremely loose with the execution of all of the routines, LOL, but they do help keep me on track.

Cheers,
Lizzie

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

I REALLY need to get as organized as you are!!! I always start off good and then fizzle out after a week or so. :-( I struggle with routine.

That is a great routine you have and I admire you for being able to keep it up! I'll try again, I'm inspired! :-)

Lizzie said...

It all looks really good on paper! Most of the time I operate around a 70/30 principle...following my own routines and schedules for 70% of the time and going TOTALLY off radar for the other 30%, LOL. Don't think I work at 100% all the time! One look around my house would tell you otherwise! Right at this second I have one large and three small suitcases full of dirty clothes to sort and wash after our trip away...auuugh.

Cheers,
Lizzie

Related Posts with Thumbnails