Saturday, February 21, 2009

Things That Scare, Bother and Annoy Me

In the true spirit of bloggy disclosure - and also because I've been a slacker this week and ignored my blog totally - here is a by-no-means-exhaustive list of the things that I find disturbing (the level of disturbance varies greatly, as does whether I consider these things to be fears or annoyances, LOL, so make your own call):
  • Tiny snakes (I can see the big ones in time)
  • The garage door hitting me in the head when I'm lifting it (the door opener isn't working, so its the modern-day equivalent to 'opening the farm gate' for us at the moment)
  • White-knuckling it through air turbulence. I can count the number of plane trips I've done on one hand (and that includes the return journeys - I am so, so sheltered) but darn it, I've seen my fair share of Plane Crash Investigation episodes.
  • Children (like, 5 year olds) drinking Coke (possible exception at McDonald's, but only because I can't be sure their cups don't actually contain water or juice).
  • My 10 and 8 year old niece and nephew on Facebook. Yeah.
  • Yo Gabba Gabba, Teletubbies, In The Night Garden, and Boobah. When did children's television get stupid? Even Sesame Street always made you use your brain!
  • Catching the 'school bus' (the public transport system here usually designates one run each weekday afternoon - around 3:30 or so - as a 'school run'. Here in the city there aren't so many school-specific buses so students catch the regular public transport en masse). Had to do this yesterday and I have never been on a bus with brattier teens in my life - and the students were from a Catholic private school to boot.
  • People who continue to drive and use a hand-held mobile phone at the same time, despite it being illegal. I count at least five people doing this every time I leave the house.
  • The fact that my old blog hosting plan runs out on February 28 and I still have seven months of posts to transfer back here.
  • People daring to have babies I can't cuddle! I mean really. How selfish! (this little pink bundle was the recipient of these!)
  • Dogs who chew (I'm looking at YOU Charlie...grrr)
  • Not being able to go 'op-shopping' (thrifting) at the moment.
  • Children's 'walking harnesses'. Just a personal thing.
  • Mobile phones for five year olds. You're not allowed to have them in class at our (primary) school, so you leave them at the front office and pick them up at the end of the day. What's the point? If Mum's late picking you up, what's wrong with going to the office and having the ladies there call home? Are you ever that far away from your kids that they need a phone before they can read? (Exceptions, obviously, are older primary kids, say 11 or 12 years old, who regularly walk home by themselves. There are hardly any phone boxes around anymore so calling home is difficult).
  • Man-eating chimps.
  • This. For SO MANY REASONS, least of all the fact that her parents regularly allowed boys to sleep over, and she's already had six different partners and a kid with dubious paternity by the age of 15. Where were her parents!!! (and yes, I'm aware there's a whole side issue regarding the parents and what they wanted to get out of the situation - comments on that link not censored or kind, be warned).
  • This entire debacle. No further comment.

And finally, and perhaps most importantly:

  • McD's forgetting my barbecue sauce!

I have an exciting post in the works for you for sometime next week - something really useful and practical. Stay tuned...

7 comments:

Tanja said...

oh definitely staying tuned - I missed your posts last week - we are about to get the joys of chewing - our puppy arrived today - and yes I actually agree with you on your list and hope you rang the private school and complained

River said...

I agree with quite a few of those, especially the walking harnesses. As for Yo Gabba et al, there is NO WAY I would ever have allowed my kids to watch such drivel. Thankfully it wasn't on when they were little. All of them watched Sesame Street and knew the alphabet, numbers, colours and shapes well before starting school. I have to confess I started teaching them these things before we discovered Sesame Street though. Also left and right. Such handy skills for kids to start school with.
One show I do like is Bear In The Big Blue House. It's great for kids about 3-4 years old. % even.
McDonald's used to mix up my sauces, they didn't forget entirely, just often gave us BBQ sauce instead of sweet and sour.

River said...

"%"??? D'OH! Should read 5.

Lizzie said...

Ooooh, puppies are a lot of work at that age...originally we thought 8 weeks would be when we got ours, then this other pup came up in our contacts and he (Charlie) was 12 weeks. He's still really small (Cavaliers don't get very big) but I'm actually quite happy he was this old because he certainly follows directions well and already knew the whole 'wee on the paper' business. He starts puppy preschool in a week or so, hoping to pick up some tips then for helping him get used to the lead...he's still quite contrary about that whole deal, LOL. But he knows how to sit, come (most of the time), lay down already so we're off to a good start :)

Sarah said...

my appologies. i'll ship her over shall i? :P

whats worse than children drinking coke, is watching a mother pour coke into her 18month old's bottle and hand it to him.

and boobah bugs me less than the others, mainly because i try and figure out how many drugs the creators must have been on to come up with it.


with your post transfer.. have you tried something like transfering a month per day? cutting it into chunks?

Lizzie said...

Sarah - yeah, tried that but it's just tedious no matter which way I do it. I can't physically (eye strain, plus its bothersome) do more than ten in a row and a tranfer usually also contains links (I gave up on the photos, unless they were integral). Since I'm such a nice gal I'm re-entering links as well.

And duh on the baby thing. You've got my address. I shall expect her by Wednesday.

Lizzie said...

Sarah - yeah, tried that but it's just tedious no matter which way I do it. I can't physically (eye strain, plus its bothersome) do more than ten in a row and a tranfer usually also contains links (I gave up on the photos, unless they were integral). Since I'm such a nice gal I'm re-entering links as well.

And duh on the baby thing. You've got my address. I shall expect her by Wednesday.

Related Posts with Thumbnails