Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Where Teachers And The Government Need A Big Ol' Group Hug

So apparently teachers in my state are amongst the lowest paid in Australia. And they’re not that happy about it.

Their union has been dueling with the government over a pay increase for the last couple of months. End result? Strike action. I love my kids’ teachers - every stinkin’ one any of them have ever had (well minus earlier this year in Moo’s classroom…she was horrible) - but geez. Strikes throw a seriously large, rusty spanner in the works for us parents. And I’ve got it easy - I’m a stay at home mum. I don’t have to rearrange childcare or scramble with other arrangements!

This will be the fourth strike in recent months, with the last three being half day stoppages and this Friday’s being the first full-day one. I don’t know why our state government can’t just give the teachers the money they deserve and be done with it already - we all know they’ve earned it!

This time of the year is really the worst for strike action, what with all the end-of-school-year (we break mid-December and restart after summer holidays in the last week of January) and Christmas activities. Lots of classrooms have planned excursions as treats to cap off the year, Master J’s class included, which happened to be scheduled for this Friday, strike day. I still don’t know what’s going to happen with that.

P.S. Even though the kids know Mummy blogs, they don’t know the URL, so I think I’m pretty safe to mention the fact that we picked up Guitar Hero World Tour this week for their Christmas present (also combined with Dad’s). We are totally going to kick some serious fake-concert booty! Although what I’m DYING to hear is any one of my children trying to hit the right pitch with the microphone thingy. Not a single soul in my family can sing - on any level. I fear the poor children will have inherited this awesome family gene, LOL.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails