Friday, November 21, 2008

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks...And Mr Pink Whistle

As expected, The Teachers’ Strike That Wasn’t created mass chaos. Parents were turning up to drop their kids off to school this morning and finding the place virtually deserted of children, despite school being officially ‘on’. I think - and I personally hold this opinion myself - a lot of parents just thought, why bother? There were also lots of parents who, having heard the strike was going to happen earlier in the week (via notes from the teachers themselves) had arranged emergency childcare or to take the day off themselves. Even hearing that school was back on late yesterday evening, many couldn’t re-change their plans - especially in regards to childcare centres, who generally require a couple of weeks notice for cancellations. Like I said, chaos.

Tonight, I have puppies on the brain. After seeing Moo’s classmate’s Maltese/Poodle cross pups (just can’t bring myself to call them Maltipoos, LOL) yesterday and doing a bit of research, I’m back thinking the original plan of a purebred Cavalier King Charles Spaniel might be better. So off I troddled to a breeder’s directory website and fired off 3 or 4 emails and copied down 3 more numbers to call next week. Those EYES folks. The eyes do me in every time :)

But I’m finding it really interesting - the couple of responses I got back to initial inquiries about a week and a half ago are making me think breeders are a class all of their own. I was basically told in one response that puppies only went to other breeders or to those intending them to be show dogs and were most definitely NOT pet stock. Well, lah-di-dah! Those that did “occasionally” offer pups for sale as family pets did so because they were show-dog rejects. One reason given (on a website) for not being of show material was because a couple of the dog’s teeth were out of alignment.

Okaaaaay.

I’m hoping I get some bites though. I’ve loved Cavaliers for ages and secretly coveted them all the years we were unable to have a pet. Whether a pup becomes available through a breeder is a bit hit and miss in my state. I have only come up with a list of 6 registered breeders and of the websites I’ve seen, they seem not to breed more than once, or at best twice, per year (most kennels appear to have multiple breeding females). But you never know. We could get lucky :)

Tomorrow I have set myself some housekeeping tasks that I’m hoping desperately to get completed. Namely, Mt Washmore. I am almost tempted to cull everyone to four outfits and be done with the whole blasted enterprise.

One of my favourite childhood authors, Enid Blyton, created a magical character called Mr Pink Whistle and I remember one of his stories being about family with four children who had one set of clothing each. One day they get invited to a class party but they don’t have any nice clothes so Mum sends them all to bed in the early afternoon (no other clothes you see) and drags out the washtub to brighten things up a bit. The clothes fall in the mud, then some dogs run over them, then the fireplace hacks up some soot onto them. Mum gives up. Mr Pink Whistle, who by all accounts seems to be a rather decent and obliging fellow, comes along, decides to pull a bit of an Extreme Makeover on the little cherubs, and goes shopping. Bibbity-bobbity-boo, the kids get to go to the party after all.

One set of clothes huh?

Do you think Talented Hubby and the Piglets would go for it?

You’d always match, you’d be able to wash your entire wardrobe - and everyone else’s in the family - in one load, you could get dressed in ten seconds flat and you’d never need to store any clothing because you’d be wearing it. Surely I’m not the only mother drowing in laundry who can understand the allure of this idea!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails