Saturday, July 7, 2007

Busy, Busy, Busy...


Oh my lord. Have I got a busy day on my hands!

The house is my primary concern today, rather than study (for a change!) I managed to post away two more assignments yesterday so I have some time up my sleeve today to give everything a once-over. That, and we have visitors arriving tomorrow ;P

For the first time in a loooooong while I got in eight hours sleep last night so already I feel more able to get cracking on the housework. First thing this morning (as the kettle was boiling) I threw on a load of washing and will reboot laundry all day long (yes, it will take at least that long). Now I'm finishing up my cup of tea and bloggin' a little before assigning the kids some 'quiet chores' - Daddy is sleeping (he worked late last night) and as soon as he's up its full steam ahead.

I totally have the organising bug at the moment, but am having to pull on the reins a bit. I know from experience that starting a 'project' right now would be more than a little detrimental to these last few assignments so 95% of what I have the urge to do I have to add to my list for after we get back from our holiday.

Sometime tomorrow I have to bake a butter cake or two for Boofah's decorated birthday cake. I am seriously contemplating buying a ready made plain cake rather than baking from scratch, just to save myself a little time. One year I used this principle to turn mini jam rollettes into a 'snake' cake...it was perfect and the kids loved it. You know how sometimes when you agree to a decorated cake you forget that the 'extra' stuff used to decorate it basically equals what a good store-bought cake would have cost? That's probably what this one will end up like. Boofah's having a treasure chest so lots of chocolate coins and candy necklaces, LOL. I might cheat a little and reduce the size of the treasure chest! We were eating 'snake' for a week last time!

You might have noticed that I've been absent from blog carnivals this week. I'm cutting back on those for the time being out of necessity - just can't keep up with those and everything else. Also, from this Friday I'll probably be out of blog-shot for a week, so I hope you'll all come back after that!

Here's an interesting piece of news - my Dad is remarrying. It's weird - there, I said it. I'm happy for him and at 27 I am the youngest of his four children (the eldest is 37) but still....its strange. He and Mum were separated for a few years before Mum died last year and divorced a month before she passed on (she's been gone around 14mo now) but I never in a million years pictured my father married to someone else. I've met the lady a couple of times and she seems really nice but because we all live so far apart its hard to build up any kind of relationship with her so I still feel as though she's a stranger of sorts. She has a pre-teen daughter (good luck with that one Dad!) and an early-twenties son that Dad will officially step-father although I know Dad well enough to know that all parenting decisions concerning the kids (especially the daughter) will remain with their mother. They've had the benefit of getting to know Dad as they all live in the same town, but because my siblings and I live from one side of the country to another, its harder to develop that relationship with either the lady or her children. There's no rush on the wedding, but when it occurs I'll officially have a stepmother, a stepbrother and a stepsister. That's just too weird, LOL.

Well I'm off to reboot the laundry and wake my very sleepy daughter (she would sleep till noon if we let her - bodes well for the future, huh? LOL)

**Well, that's weird... it won't let me enter a title for this post. What's up with that?**


Cheers,
Lizzie

1 comments:

Scattered Mom said...

~Hey Lizzie,

I've done a treasure chest cake before too. Basically I took a 9x13 cake and then cut it in 1/2, and put one 1/2 on top of the other.

As for the candy, you end up putting most of it around the edges anyway so the kids can see them so it's not too bad. The cake I made that had the most 'stuff' was a pool party one..I think there's a picture over at Recipes from the Cookie Jar under kid's parties.

Related Posts with Thumbnails