Friday, May 11, 2007

Stay At Home Motherhood


Today I was a VIP, along with all the other mothers, for a morning tea in Boofah's classroom. The kids were so sweet, singing songs to the mums, serving us the cakes and slices that (ironically!) we'd been asked to bake ourselves, LOL. Boofah was proud as punch.

It's days like these - the ones with the morning teas, the cake stalls, the parent teacher interviews, the concerts, the assemblies - that I am very grateful that I am a stay at home mum. I'm not going to speak on behalf of all mothers or get into a debate about working vs stay at home mums, but I know in my own personal life, I get such a thrill over being able to be there and experience days like today.

I am also exceedingly grateful to my dear hubby, without which this blessing wouldn't be mine to blog about. We are very lucky - he has a good, solid job that pays enough to allow me to stay at home. It was always the plan while the kids were young, but now, with Miss Moo in school as well, I have reached the 'traditional' time of thinking about returning to work. I'm on a cusp, so to speak. Stay at home mums are expected while the kids are under school-age, but once you have that empty nest back, people begin to question you if you linger in the home. I won't be working this year, at the very least (I am studying...just...though). But the more I think about it, the more I realise that when I do start work again I'm going to start to miss, through work commitments, the things that I was always available to do. Days like today. And that makes me sad. Unfortunately, kids just keep on incurring expenses (LOL) and at some stage we'll reach the point where the cake stalls and classroom reading times end. And then work becomes a very real and needed situation.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy every single second of baking brownies at 5am and watching their sweet little singing faces. It will all be over far too quickly.

Cheers,
Lizzie

1 comments:

beebeejaybee said...

hey lizzie sounds like you have great times, My mum worked friday nights at a chinese resturaunt taking orders for a few years it wasn't what she had been trained to do but it was extra income for the family, then didn't go back to full time real work untill we got to highschool, she was very hevily involved in the activities and goings on at the primary school and I have great memories of her always being at the presentations and grade assemblies its alway nice to know someone will come

Related Posts with Thumbnails