Friday, May 4, 2007

How Much Sugar Is Too Much In A Cookie?


Scattered Mom over at Notes From The Cookie Jar has a recipe blog - Recipes From The Cookie Jar. I thought I'd try out her no-rolling-out Sugar Cookies today. Scattered Mom, you'll feel quite chuffed, no doubt, at the honour of having your recipe de-virginise my new mixing bowl, LOL (which, by the way, performed great - it will be plenty big enough to triple most standard recipes - alot of the reason I wanted a bowl so large).

I'm always after new recipes that use low cost pantry ingredients. Brownies and Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies and the like have their place (I'm thinking right next to a cup of tea, perched on the coffee table in front of Grey's Anatomy, but that's just me...) but in terms of everyday baking, we just can't justify the 'special' ingredients very often. Case in point: I have a killer World's Best Choc Chip Cookie recipe that uses three BAGS (250g/8½ oz...each) of choc chips, in each of milk, white and dark chocolate. Each bag retails down here for $3.30. That's $10 just for the chocolate chips - and a bag of ready-made cookies in similar quantities might only cost $3. The cookies are GOOD, but financially-speaking, it makes no sense. We still throw in a few of these 'treat' recipes but more so around the holidays, Mother's Day and for gifts.

I'm quite impressed with Recipes From The Cookie Jar's Sugar Cookies. The only thing we did differently was that we had no sour cream so I just left it out. The first batch that made it through the oven were made as directed and they were big, LOL. I reduced the size of the second batch. And they were sliiiightly too sweet (even by my standards, which, let me assure you, are HIGH!). I doubled the recipe so next time I'll just put in 2 cups of sugar instead of the (doubled) 3 cups.

But they are so moist and chewy - lovely. I can see myself using this basic recipe (minus the sugar sprinkled on top) to try to replicate Subway's White Choc Macadamia cookies...I've never been able to get a cookie so large without it losing its chewiness.

Scattered Mom, when my kids get home from school in a couple of hours, they are going to LOVE you, LOL.

P.S. The plate above is a side plate, which gives you some indication of how big these turned out :) The second batch were about half that size.

Cheers,
Lizzie

3 comments:

Elle said...

Those sound super good!!

Lizzie said...

They were!

Kids loved them. Next batch I'm going to add some white choc chips and some macadamias if for no other reason than to fulfil my own curiosity re the Subway cookies, LOL.

Cheers,
Lizzie

Scattered Mom said...

Mmm...yummy. Yes, they are HUGE. I think that the sour cream may just cut the sweetness, because they were just perfect for us and I can't stand ultra sweet either.

Glad you liked them! Let me know how the macadamia nut and white chocolate goes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails