Thursday, May 24, 2007

Closety Goodness


I wish my closet looked like this. Or, you know, with a splash of colour here or there. Because there's only so much beige a gal can handle.

No, I'm not talking about the clothes, but the organisation.

When we moved into this house two years ago we were thrilled to discover that the bedrooms all had built-in closets (with the main having a small walk-in). It was a huge selling point for a family who had previously stored all three children's clothing in the one set of drawers.

But for the last two years I've had it all wrong. The built-ins have lots of hanging space and some open shelving as well as four drawers. I had been folding all of the kids' clothing and putting them on the open shelves. The result was an untidy mess that very frequently needed tidying up. The configuration was all wrong.

Last weekend I had one of those lightbulb moments. One of those 'OMG, how did I miss that?' thoughts. I dragged out all the kids size hangers I could find. I went through the kids' closets and completely cleaned them out - everything removed and set aside. I dusted and vacuumed inside. Then I took each item of clothing - the very clothes I continuously spend hours folding and re-tidying on those open shelves - and hung it up.

Wow. The difference is amazing. For starters, I can see exactly what items of clothing are on hand. No more untidy folded piles. And the open shelves are now free to house the various toys that usually reside somewhere on the floor to be tripped over.

I still need to stock up on some more hangers - I had a scant few - but boy, life just got a lot easier. I just take a basket of hangers with me to the laundry or directly out to the clothesline and hang there and then. And simply bring them in and pop them in the closets immediately. No more clothes waiting around in baskets until I get five minutes to do some folding. It's like I just gained another couple of hours a week between not having to worry about the folding and the tidying up of the shelves after the kids have been in there searching for a favourite t-shirt.

I love it when organisation just, well, works. LOL.

Cheers,
Lizzie

1 comments:

A Juggling Mum said...

You can hang the clothes directly from the machine straight onto the hangers and hang the hangers on the clothes line, it's great when you need to get them off the line in a hurry :)

We have had to do this because we don't have any drawer space, so all of our clothes get hung on hangers. It makes life so much easier :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails