Friday, March 13, 2009

Strangely Enough, I Am Not Missing Wordpress, And Other Random Thoughts

Sure, I lost half my subscribers and ALL the comments made on any of the posts for that year (the manual transferring of posts back here worked well - but didn't extend to comments) but it really has made life simpler.

Still, for some unfathomable reason, lizzieshome.com is still viewable and has been for the last week or two since I finally got access again to finish bringing all the content back here. I have no idea why - I didn't renew hosting (obviously) for another year so are they hosting it for free? I'm lost - but I think I'll give it another month and then delete the old blog altogether.

I'm such a dork - you know how I blathered on about my recipe card file hack in this post? Well almost immediately after posting I decided I didn't like the photo storage box idea. The width was right, but the length was a little impractical - I mean, I'd have to be one serious cook to fill an entire photo storage box with recipes! If I removed the spare cards sitting in the back, everything fell over. Not so good. So I went out today and bought this:


It's as ugly as all get-up, but it will do. It's not very long (deep?), so everything stays standing up nicely. You can see I've also re-labelled all the tabs to fit in with my own recipe categories.


Told you - dork, LOL.

I'm really in the mood to do a little op-shopping (thrift store browsing). It's frustraing, because there aren't any near me and though I can reach at least five with a short bus ride, now that we have Charlie, it's a lot harder to leave the house for any length of time. I think I might have to snaffle a day the week after next, when Talented Hubby moves to his week of afternoons...that way Charlie will only be alone for an hour. Right, pencilling that in. I'm going to be looking for older cookbooks (but not the seventies!) and household books in general. I find op-shopping a little easier to do than garage-sale browsing - for starters, there's less of a 'yard sale culture' where I am in summer. Secondly, I find it a little weird to be poring over people's old stuff while they're right there staring at you. Then I feel guilty for not buying anything, so inevitably I'll pick up some ugly item. There are two major stores on my usual 'day out' jaunt (both Salvation Army), a Goodwill, a Save The Children and a St Vinnies. The nicer stores have the higher prices, which is a bit maddening, but its the real treasures in the little stores I'm after :)

Well, that's it from me tonight - I have an shirt to iron for TH to wear to work tomorrow, and the kitchen to clear up. One of these days I'll get organized enough to post before 11pm at night, LOL.

Maybe.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

speaking of cookbooks, i just discovered a book my mum was given by her work. its called frostbite, and is full of easy, easily freezable stuff.. and has instructions on HOW to freeze/defrost everything so it works best. i am intrigued.

River said...

Well, now I'm curious. Why not recipe books fro the seventies? Was the food back then so truly terrible? Or do you already have books from the seventies?

Lizzie (admin) said...

Well here's my theory. Books from the fifties are quaint. Books from the sixties are retro. Books from the eighties usually contain foods I remember from my childhood (I was born three months before the end of 1979). THe nighties books have recipes I used to potter with whenever my mother let me in the kitchen as a teenager. The noughties are recipes I've served to my own children.

But...

The seventies? I can't think of a single iconic seventies recipe that sounds good right now!

LOL.

River said...

The seventies brought us ....THE FONDUE POT.......all those tupperware parties with people gathered around the table holding long skewers and dipping bits of vegetables in melted cheese. Or bits of fruit into melted chocolate. And dips. With more carrot sticks than I'd ever seen before. Also new in the 70's (to Australia anyway), Macca's, Pizza Hut, Chinese Restaurants. Not a lot there in the home cooked range really.

Scattered Mom said...

I've tried so many organizational things when it comes to recipes that it's ridiculous.

For me, what is working best now is typing out the ones I want to keep and printing them. I bought these plastic sleeves at the office shop and pop them in there, then have them in a binder.

That seems to work the best so far.

Related Posts with Thumbnails