Monday, June 2, 2008

Shopping Day

People that shop and then cook for the freezer all in one day? Nutters. Every last one of them!

Today was the first Shopping Day in my new Three Week Cook For The Freezer Experiment. Good grief. And I only went to three stores! I think trying to fit it all in after calling into our mobile phone company’s nearest store was probably pushing things. But guess what? I got me a new phone! And it’s shiny! And better than the last one! All is well with the world again.

Here’s how today broke down:

Chicken butcher - $28.29
Fruit & Veg Shop - $33.85
Supermarket - $243.01

For a total of: $305.15

I do still have a few things to pick up at a different supermarket tomorrow morning - we already crammed so much into this morning (Talented Hubby came with me and had to be home right after lunch to get ready for work) that some had to be put off until tomorrow. I might spend another $50 or so.

I’m continually surprised at how cheap shopping for produce at the fruit and veg shop is compared to the supermarket. I should do a bit of a comparison shop one day. With my $33.85 today I completely filled one of those ‘toy’ shopping carts - you know, the ones that are identical to regular shopping trolleys except half the size? That’s a LOT of food. I got lots and lots of carrots, a massive bag of broccoli, butternut pumpkin, 5kg (11 lbs) potatoes, sweet potato, onions, green capsicums (peppers), big bag of red capsicum, cabbage, tomatoes, celery and spring onions. I roughly allocated $75 toward produce for this three week period and I can’t imagine even coming close. Love it. See all those bananas? Those weren’t purchased today but they were picked up extremely cheaply in this last week. I see many, many banana muffins in my future. Any other ideas?

My total also included these:

(photo of plastic containers)

Those are heavy-duty reusable freezer/microwave/dishwasher safe containers in sizes appropriate for Hubs’ work lunches. I also bit the bullet and bought the mammoth cling wrap roll.

And now, if you’ll excuse me, I have seventy kilograms of vegetables to chop up :)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails