Thursday, September 3, 2009

Lizzie Gets Real. Brace Yourselves.


I love it when I discover new bloggy treasures. This week I 'met' Stefne Miller via a call out on Conversion Diary but it was this post a couple of days back that really sealed the deal for me.

So in the spirit of faithful sisterhood and, at the very least, in order to provide future Twitter-fodder, I give you my own 'Lizzie Gets Raw' list.
  • Sometimes when Jay gets home from school and fusses and moans and whinges his way through the afternoon for no apparent reason other than he wants to make his presence felt, I take myself quietly off into the ensuite, lock the door, and bawl my eyes out in a Grade A Ugly Cry. I do my own fussing and selfish whining, the whole nine yards of 'Why me? What did I ever do to deserve this?', and then I dry my eyes, stick a tissue in my pocket to catch the nose drips, and walk out calmly to finish fixing snacks. Nobody in my family knows how much I cry, especially over Jay. My heart just gets so sore and heavy sometimes.

  • Sometimes I look back over my life, and wonder what in the heck happened to the person I used to be. I used to have focus and direction. Now, not so much.

  • I yell at my children. Not all the time....but I yell.

  • I swear on occasion. Not all the time...but I swear.

  • I no longer recognise nor like my own body and feel powerless to stop the avalanche of time and society's expectations about what it should look like. Sometimes I care, and sometimes I don't, but the times I don't? I'd rather not feel like a total loser for not knowing anything about makeup or haircare, thankyouverymuch.

  • I do not give my best to my husband. A lot of the time he gets the 'leftovers' of me.

  • I am sometimes resentful that I sometimes get the leftovers of him too. And then I feel guilty because he works full time and I 'don't work'. And then I start to hate Tiger Woods for hawking a Playstation game that steals away the precious leftover time we do have. And then I feel guilty because my poor husband needs to unwind from a (very) stressful and (occasionally) dangerous profession and who the heck am I to deny his quest for a virtual hole-in-one? And then I realise I'm talking in circles and my head explodes. Sigh.

  • I am CONSTANTLY behind on housework, which bothers my husband, and makes me feel like a speck of dirt. Which incidentally, I don't even notice is there (I'm messy, he's not).

  • I don't feel like anyone is truly proud of me.

  • I don't feel like I do much to warrant the pride anyway.

  • I want to read the bible daily but don't.

  • I want to go to church but don't know how to start (it's harder than you think when you spend 27 years as an atheist and are married to the same). I have been to exactly one non-funeral church service in my life, and didn't much like it. Reeked of rote recitation to me. If I go again, I have a laundry list of what I'd like to get out of it. I realise that's wrong but I still want it according to my own terms.

  • I am scared to think what an about-face on faith would look like to outsiders, namely family (none of whom are Christian), so I don't talk about it. I barely even blog about it.

  • I have a keen sense of social justice but when push comes to shove, I sometimes hold back on exercising it.

  • I have no fashion sense WHATSOEVER and actually think most fashion trends are a waste of time and money. If I had $50 to spend, I would buy books, not clothes. This extends to jewelery. I'd rather 'mad money' than sparkly things. This is one area that gets Talented Hubby a free pass.

  • I don't wear my wedding or engagement rings but it's not because I don't want to. It's because I've gained some weight in the last few years and they no longer fit, and I don't want to tell Hubs the real reason because we've already had them resized twice - once bigger and once smaller - pre and post pregnancies. I no longer have the excuse of 'baby weight sausage fingers' to fall back on.

  • I don't have super-close friends. I'd like to, but I find it hard to establish friendships.

  • I would love more children, despite things being, uh, 'taken care of' so that doesn't happen. If the decision was made to 'un-take-care-of' things, I would be thrilled. THRILLED.

  • I crave the respect and admiration of my husband but I'm not entirely sure I get it. I want him to wake up and say 'Daggum it, she chose me?' but I still think of it in terms of a works-based theology - if I just do this, clean that, be there for that thing...and then when I fail in those things, it doesn't bode well for one's emotional footing.

  • I waste time on the internet every single day. That's right, I said WASTE. But I don't want to stop.

  • I fight God with every step and breath I take. I ignore, bend, or gloss-over the rules all the time. I still wonder why He puts up with it. I have changed a lot, but I still find myself reverting back to my old way of thinking whenever the excrement hits the oscillating air-moving device. I sincerely have no idea how to bridge this gap.

  • It bothers me that my husband isn't more open to matters of faith, and I don't mean regarding his own (or not) ideas on faith (that's his own journey to take, if he ever decides to set off on it, and that's highly unlikely), I mean openness to MY feelings on the matter. His opinion means the most to me in the whole world and I do not talk to him about faith because his comments sometimes make me feel like a gullible fool for believing in the unseen in the first place.

  • I pray, but haphazardly. I pray for my husband sometimes, but he doesn't know it. I don't want to sound like I've flipped my lid.

  • I listen to Christian music and podcasts, and read books with a Christian theme, but still feel 'guilty' doing it.

  • Sometimes married life feels like a tethered life.

I adore my husband (he truly is one of the most decent, caring, responsible men I've ever met), I crave my children, and overall, life is pretty darn sweet. But it's not perfect, and neither am I. It's about time I stopped caring what others think and start living for real.

10 comments:

Stefne said...

Lizzie -
That list is amazing and so freakin' brave! I love, love, love it! Do you feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders? The truth always sets you free!
Enough preaching:
You may live thousands of miles away, but I have a feeling if we met in person, we'd be fast friends.

Lizzie (admin) said...

Aw, thanks Stefne (I keep wanting to spell your name 'right') LOL.

Two posts in one day. That's it for me for a month, LOL....

SquiggleMum said...

Lizzie - this is my favourite post of yours. You brave, bold, wonderful woman. Thank you for your brutal honesty. I have been a Christian for a long time, but your words resonated so strongly with me. There is still so much in my life that I just don't get right, and so many lessons God needs to keep reteaching me. If you ever want to talk about faith stuff, you've got a friend in me. Blessings, Cath. xx

wjcsydney said...

Wonderful post, Lizzie. God's grace is enough for everything! Much of what you write of your DH's attitude to faith I have lived through and with. It HAS got easier but it has taken years.

Tonya said...

I feel like I have "met" my twin from across the other side of the world,LOL;)
i can assign almost your whole list to myself,and i thought I was alone.if you ever feel like "talking",email me.

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

What an amazing post. It takes courage to write what you really feel.

Katherine Marie! said...

What a courageous and POWERFUL post!!! I stand in awe of you for being real, honest and true to your feelings. I pray that you feel God's unconditional grace and love... EVERY single day of the rest of your life.

May I recommend my absolute FAVORITE song?? Benny Hester-- When God Ran. I hope it brings you comfort.

Thanks you for sharing. We can all learn so much from your words.

Kelly said...

Wow... you're human. And not perfect. But even better? Posting that list took a lot of guts!!! I hope it felt amazing to write it all down and get it out :)

Katrina said...

A wonderful post, thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

Lizzie, While it's been a while since you have posted this. But I have to say you must have been in my head when you typed it. If kind of funny when you think about it. I now for me I think I am the only person thinking like this... what's wrong with me.... but what you wrote, I have to say is the way I feel and have for a while. Not to make light out of anything you said but to be honest it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who feels that way. From the way I look at myself to no fashion and lets not forget the waste of time on the net. Well I would like to thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one that feels this way. And to you: You are a mother, wife and the one who makes sure everything is done... the things the husband don't notice... school things notes and trips ext are done. That everyone has dinner and lets not forget anything last min. things that just have to get completed. So Lizzie Be Proud Be very Proud... Your A mother with all that entiles... so THANK YOU LIZZIE... HAVE A WONDERFUL NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY...

Related Posts with Thumbnails