Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ahhhh, Twilight. And Sonic. And Sweet Tea.


I'm coming down off a post-Twilight euphoric daze. Yesterday Talented Hubby, groaning all the while, took me to Blockbuster so I could rent the movie. There was one small problem though - I hadn't yet finished the book. So that's what I did most of yesterday afternoon. I finally finished reading at 9:07 pm. And by 9:09 pm I was happily scrolling through the opening credits.

First impressions? Book was definitely better than the movie, but then most of them are. This first movie, I'm told, had a small budget. I think you could tell. The moving lines behind the characters as they ran made me giggle. Not to mention the poorly-disguised 'I look like I'm running but really I'm on a cable' thing. But the absolute highest point of hilarity for me was All The Whiteness.

Now I get they're supposed to be vampires. And apparently there's a law somewhere that states all representations of vampires on film need to have an 'Elizabethan arsenic' feel to them. But come on! The girls managed to look fair-skinned but not abnormally so - why not the boys? They (Edward, Jasper, Carlisle, Emmett, James) all looked like a Kitchenaid mixer had exploded flour all over them. Methinks a better disguise - especially considering most of them had decades to perfect their blending in techniques - may have included a little rouge. To me, preppily-dressed folk with powder-white faces stand out like a sore thumb. Now, if you dressed the Cullens in goth regalia to go along with their white faces, they'd blend right into most high schools in the world!

That said - I loved it, LOL. And there's a whole other post in the works about the intricacies of Edward's appeal. I am tragically invested and I don't care who knows it.

New bloggy friend Stefne (with her darned insightful, imaginatively-titled blog) and I had an impressive Twilight debriefing session via Twitter and Messenger this morning. Chief among our concerns - and I can't be the ONLY person ever to have thought of this, so excuse the crass-ness - was the question of what happens when Bella, uh, experiences her 'delicate time' of the month. Any takers? LOL. It's on the same level as the 'how do you pee in space?' question. There has to be an answer to this one.

Moving right along...

Lots of crazy stuff happening about the place here. The inlaws are coming to stay tomorrow for two nights. We love them, so this is a good thing. And this time - woot! - we can actually offer them more than a leaky old air mattress as we recently purchased a sofa bed. Oh, the luxury!

And of course, there's our trip coming up. While my physical presence may be on the steps of the Opera House, my heart is busy planning a (mythical, at this stage anyway) trip to the States. I am starting a list of culinary delights I mean to try if I ever get there (seriously, brutal flight prices from Australia pretty much eliminates the kids' inheritance, so perhaps never would be a good estimate?) On the list so far? Sonic in Texas and sweet tea anywhere else in the 'south'.

Hey...wouldn't it be great if I had someone from each state in the US nominate some sort of legendary local food item for my list? Jump in in the comments! Spread the word!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

i am SO GLAD i'm not the only one who thinks of things like that when reading books/watching movies. like when people go dashing off chasing the baddie on their horse with no supplies and they ride nonstop through the desert for 3 days.... what do they eat? or sleeping beauty.. asleep for 100years.. hello.. toilet trips?? my husband says its called suspeneion of disbelief. i say its MAKE MORE SENSE PLEASE.


food: we lived in california. my husband would insist you eat at in'n'out. i would say meh. i WOULD say find a good mexican place, then compare their food to del taco. oh man now i want del taco.......

Sarah said...

ok now i hate you cause i REALLY WANT DEL TACO. and jack in the box. i need to go back to cali just for the fast food. :(

Stefne said...

Okay, when you come to visit me - which of course you will - I will take you to a place called Johnnies. They are known across the US for their hamburgers with fried onions (although they're really more grilled than fried). We also have Sonic in Oklahoma and almost every day I get a Route 44 Diet Coke with either Vanilla or Cherry syrup. No need to comment on how the syrup makes the "diet" part laughable - I already know that.
Regarding Twilight - I know we talked about this last night on IM, but I'll say it here too. There are several "issues" that the author skipped over (monthly visitor, etc). Those of us weirdos that give thought to this kind of stuff need to know what the heck she was thinking and how in the world does she justify it in her mind. OR, maybe girls in Forks don't get their period which, if that's the case, I'm moving there tomorrow.

Kelly said...

If you make it to the states, and wind up in the Philadelphia area, you have to get a cheese steak.
Damn... now I'm hungry.
I find those little quirks that don't get explained in books and movies irritating as hell, because even though it's "just a movie", you want to be able to believe it!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails