Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Homeschooling Is Beginning To Sound Better With Every Lunchbox I Pack


So the random picture? It's a cake. And I made it over a year ago, for Boof's 8th birthday, but never got around to posting a picture before. I was looking for a pic to head up this post and came across it and thought why not? It's about the most creative thing I've ever done in the kitchen and trust me, it wasn't even that much of a victory because I cheated. I used a couple of bought madeira cakes and a whole bunch of chocolate coins and plastic chains and called it a day. Surprisingly, it seemed to work. I especially liked the part that said I needed one little triangle of a Toblerone because I got to eat the rest of the bar. Arrggh, me hearties!

I had a big long post planned out but not more than five minutes ago I discovered all of the following in the space of approximiately 53 seconds:
  • We're out of eggs (I was throwing together some cupcakes for school lunches).
  • We're out of small change (I was going to my fallback plan of a lunch order).
  • I thus still need to make sandwiches/pack lunchboxes x 3 - so back to making cupcakes.
  • Now I have to research egg substitutes for the cake mix (What? You thought I would bake from scratch at 10:30 pm? No chance!)
  • Paid a bill I thought was overdue. Discovered Talented Hubby's delightful trick of writing when it was due on the calendar an entire day early, little scamp that he is (Did he think I was going to forget to pay it or somethi--- oh, wait. Good call, you're forgiven)
  • Realised I forgot my (older, wiser) sister's birthday. I'm sorry C!
  • Remembered TH is out of clean work shirts.
  • TH is on call tonight - so I can't even iron damp and let dry overnight (one must be dry and ready to go in case he's called in).
  • Discovered an appointment for tomorrow at 10 am - here at the house - that I'd completely forgotten about. Had planned to go out. Considered rescheduling. Too much hassle. Will keep appointment tomorrow, sigh.
  • Looked around the (open plan) family room/main living area. One corner is clean but I doubt I can make appointment lady sit there facing the wall (to shield her from the rest of the mess), so I'll have to clean up a bit between now and then.
  • God bless the five new podcasts I just put on my iPod this afternoon.
  • I'm not going to bed very early tonight, am I? Sigh.

Until tomorrow. If I live.

P.S. The dog ate FOUR pairs of underwear today. He stole them from the washing basket in the hall. They're not the first casualties either...

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Homeschooling??????
Yes, you'd no longer have to pack lunches, but OMG the children would be home with you all day and you'd have to TEACH them, and be all scheduled and organized.
WAY too scary for me to even think about.

SquiggleMum said...

Oh I am still laughing! I must admit I get to the evening quite often and the realisation of what I have to get done before tomorrow hits me. *sigh* There is no other job on earth quite like mothering...

River said...

What on earth happened? You're usually so organised, with schedules and stuff....

Katherine Marie! said...

Ahhh the never ending bliss and craziness of motherhood!!! Never ending discoveries huh?!

That cake is amazing. Pure perfection and who cares if you cheated--- I don't call that cheating I call that BRILLIANT!

Lizzie (admin) said...

Katherine - you would have been so proud of me the year I made a snake cake then. I used those mini sponge rolls (cutting chinks out of the extras to fill the 'bends' in the snake), slathered the whole thing in green icing, and used Smarties (millions of the darn things) for scales. The kids thought I was a genius. I just broke out the evil cackle...

Sarah said...

i made a castle cake for critter's birthday party yesterday. i'm tempted to never let him have another birthday party ever ever again because i suck at making cakes. that pirate chest is cool though.

Katherine Marie! said...

Did you get any pics of the SNAKE CAKE??? I'd love to see! :):)

Related Posts with Thumbnails