Saturday, August 16, 2008

Yum Cha Lizzie

Because I’m too lazy to do a ‘real’ post…

The vegie garden idea has morphed - I’m now looking at container varieties. The pots will be in the same spot (it’s bare garden bed at present) because of the sun situation but this way gives a little more flexibility as the shadows come across the yard and it lends itself better to ’starting out small’, at the request of Talented Hubby. Darn that practical man. Sigh.
Next week is TH’s week-long stretch of dayshift. I actually rather enjoy the way his roster is structured at the moment - it’s more or less a week of days, a week of afternoons and a week off. With the kids in school on weekdays, during dayshift I have five glorious days of being alone in the house. This week coming I have some housework-y projects on the horizon and I’m actually drawing up a schedule for the week in order to tick a whole heap of things off my Home Projects list. Sort of like a pre-Spring clean. It’s also a good week to do things like cooking for the freezer (though none of that lately…) TH’s ‘off’ week also spans the weekdays so it gives us a chance to get a lot of errands done sans children and as a bonus, we avoid the busy times such as after school and weekends.
Did I mention that Talented Hubby got the promotion he had applied for? It only took seven weeks to hear the outcome (grumble grumble)but now we know and yay Hubs! Must say, I love his job. So proud of him.
I’ve been re-organizing my kitchen cupboards. I had intended doing this for BooMama’s “Before and After” carnival but then that went kaput so I procrastinated a little more. I finally got sick of the Tupperware Avalanche and dived in. I took a badly-organized corner cupboard and turned it into my ‘baking centre’ although time will tell whether this was a wise choice - we can sometimes have problems with ants and of course, brown sugar and icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar) stored down low might be a little too hard to keep ant-less during summer in a few months. We’ll see how we go. The cupboard in question is one of those really deep things with a funny hinged door. Two shelves. The bottom one got set aside for small electrical appliances, which had been residing in the pantry. This meant I could space out the pantry a bit. End result - much easier to find things.
Moved the cereal from the highest shelf in the pantry to one down low - I am determined to teach the kids how to pour their own cereal. This has been my own fault - the spilled cereal doesn’t bother me, but the spilled milk might. Have heard about the ‘trick’ of using a sauce (ketchup/mustard) squeezy bottle (a clean, new one!) and filling it with milk each night for the kids to squirt their own. My kids get up early. I do not. This would solve both the sleep deprivation (me) and the intense hunger (them - if you’ve seen the zombies in the movie 28 Weeks Later? Yep, that’s them). Though not nutritionally perfect (or even good, LOL) there are a couple of plainer cereals which we all prefer with a little sugar sprinkled on top so I’m going to look around for one of those large restaurant salt and pepper/herb shakers (Subway uses them for s + p)and stick a couple tablespoons of sugar in there each morning. Wha-la! Minimal mess, maximum sleepage.
Is it just me, or does anyone else get ‘mouse hand’? Think tennis elbow for computer geeks. Appearing mostly in the cooler months, mouse hand occurs over extended net surfing sessions. You’re not typing, but you’re still having to navigate between pages using your mouse. You suddenly realise that hand is freezing cold while your superfluous hand remains comfortably warm. It’s a great torture device. A ‘mouse hand’ down the back of a Playstation-playing spouse’s neck is fun for the whole family to watch. But I wouldn’t know anything about that. Nooooo……
The sun has been on holidays (or ‘vacay’ as the teen mags would have you say - what is up with THAT?)in my neck of the woods, so I’ve had to use the dryer quite a lot. It’s an itty bitty dryer and I am longing for Spring when I can begin line drying again.
I’m also really, really looking foward to the day when our fourth bedroom gets cleared of clutter (and The Beast - a rusty old home gym we have used exactly twelve times in the last decade)and Boofah moves in. He shares a set of bunks with his sister. Is it wrong that I’m less excited about my eight year old son finally having his own space and more excited about the prospect of not having to dangle precariously in mid air trying to manoeuvre a sheet onto the top bunk? ‘Tis true.
Hope your Saturday is sunny!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails