Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Buffet Hutch Makeover - Before


So here's how it happened.  DH had some dry cleaning that needed to be put in, and since I am the resident PA around here, I found myself at the local shopping centre, pants surrendered (his, not mine) and craving a caramellatte.  I tried to round up stray friends to partake in the joy that is a freshly roasted brew, but they were all busy.  I got my coffee anyway - a new addiction, by the way - and wandered around for a bit.  It was too soon to go home, and I was in the mood for some window shopping.

Eventually I found myself at a fabric superstore, buying a couple of odds and ends, and then made my way to a local thrift store.  This particular thrift store (and most in the area) are mainly clothing-based, but they always have a few pieces of furniture in the back.  To be honest, there's rarely anything decent to be found (unless, of course, you actually want to decorate with chipped laminate furniture) but very rarely, they have a piece or two worth a second look.  That's when I saw it.

A little buffet hutch stood out from the crowd.  It had a pleasant appearance, but it needed some work.  I made an executive decision (after checking for soundness, of course) and bought it on the spot for $64.  After arranging for delivery (we don't own a trailer), I'd spent $104.  About fourteen seconds after spying it, my mind was already ticking over - specifically toward blogs the likes of this one, this one, this one and this one.  I knew I could make it over into something pretty and functional.


The panelled backing will be perfect.  The piece itself will most likely end up white or some shade of it, but the panelling and shelves will either stay a light pine stain (like the range shown here - love that look!) or the back of the hutch section will be painted a muted shade of pale blue or green (kinda like here - so beautiful!)  Also, if you look closely at the shelves in the above picture, you'll see grooves cut to display plates - so that's an option for later.


The hutch section is in better nick than the buffet section.  I love the scalloped edge at the top.


I doubt very much the unit would have been terribly expensive even new, but this is my first 'makeover' piece so for $64, I think it's a good piece to learn on.  I'll have to do something about those doors though.  They're too plain, and just chipboard panels.  I'll want to jazz them up a bit, but I have no idea where to start!  If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!


It's also not a huge piece - about 32 cm (12 ½ inches) deep by 120 cm (around 4 ft) wide.  It's 'shallowness' might actually work for us rather than against us, depending on what we use it for.  It could turn into a table/unit for our (limited space) entryway.  But the allure of a new craft cabinet is pulling me hard and fast in another direction!


The inside of the buffet isn't very good, but fixable, I think.  I'm still undecided what to do in here - line the shelves (after sanding the crud away, of course) or paint them in a similar fashion to the hutch shelves.  It might depend on what we do with those ugly plain doors.


Didn't notice this until it was delivered today - oops!  While the backing of the hutch section is a nice panelling, the back of the buffet part is just ordinary chipboard.  This hole was covered over with duct tape!  The back should be easy enough to replace.

So there you have it - not an expensive wooden piece, that's for sure, but it will be fun to have a bit of a play around with!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I'm looking to acquire a Store shopping discount coupons or card?
I have to purchase a bracelet for my sweetheart as a gift. But I find that it dear for me to afford.800$ too much, I need get a buying discount codes or card, so i could get a discount.
i'm looking to obtain it? Please tell me, Thx

Mama Duck said...

hey! i am about to embark on a hutch makeover, would love to see your finished pics!

Related Posts with Thumbnails